• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Eclectus Owner, need Carrier Help and Advice.

StarTrick

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Zoe
Hi all! I picked up my new Ekkie today, he has been sitting in the same spot in his carrier for most of it now. I finally got him to eat a walnut after gently sliding it in there a few hours beforehand, but even doing that he tried to lunge at my hand and then went back to not moving.
It's 6pm now, I'm worried he won't come out at all tonight. And, even if he did, of how I would transport him up into the cage. I have a perch that I could maybe get him to step up onto while having on a glove for if he tried to bite?
He came from an old lady who lived in quite a small house with tons of other birds. It was a pretty bad situation which I'm glad we got him out of, she mentioned that he was slightly aggressive. I've got fresh filtered water and fresh fruit for him right outside his carrier, he wouldn't have to leave it to get some but he's so shy. Any advice would be appreciated! I'll just be continuing to leave him for now while I work at my desk, hopefully he comes out soon.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I would give him lots of time to himself to orient to his new surroundings. Probably take your carrier to the cage and rig a way for him to get himself into the cage or do a perch or towel transfer. It may be way too much at first to deal with new people and a new situation all at once. I bet he's going to need lots of hands off time at first.