• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Eclectus fitting in with other pets

Kev's Dad

Checking out the neighborhood
We got our Eclectus in May and then our boxer puppy a month later. The bird and cat pretty much ignore each other. They eat beside each other and basically take no notice of one another. The dog, "Tippa" is an absolute maniac that jumps over and up on everyone with no regard to personal space. Interestingly the only thing the bird "Kev", shows any respect to is Kev. I noticed when I got home from work that the dog was going up to the cage watching Kev with his nose up against the cage. Now, a week later they are actually best mates. I got home several days ago and the kids said "Kev and Tippa have been playing!" The bird's head is actually wet from the dog's saliva. The bird bites (nibbles) on his eyes, cheeks, tongue and mouth. Kev will fly to where the dog is and the two go at it for 10mins Tippa will nudge him and partially squash him with his head, and the bird tries to chew on every part of his face. Its the only time the dog is gentle with. I took some amusing footage today of them I can post it if anyone's interested.

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
Oh my. Dog saliva contains infectious pathogens. You need to separate the two. You can't reverse predator instincts. If you turn away your bird could be killed.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
You are dancing with death. Your dog and cat are threats to your bird. A simple scratch, lick, or nip could result in death.

Not only are you allowing an opportunity for disaster, but you are laughing at it.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Your bird is in dangerous situations. Please takes actions to protect & separate before a tragic accident occurs to your bird.

Saliva from cats is especially deadly but dogs too can harbor bacteria that can make your bird sick. Please do not take chances with your birds heath & safety.

KhanKrazy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashley
Welcome!
Please heed the advice of the others here. As a veterinary nurse I can say with certainty that dog saliva and especially cat saliva is NOT safe for your bird. And your cat and dog having access to the bird, supervised or otherwise, is HIGHLY dangerous. Please please please do not continue this. Your bird will end up dead.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Yes, we are trying to intervene the best we can as we have any times i the past only to later read the sad tragic news... SAD. Countless disbelief that it won't happen to there bird & they don't fall asleep etc. :cry3:

I hope I don't know about it when it happens as I have enough tragedy in my own life without heartbreak of the loss of another innocent creature being added to it especially when advice was not heeded. Still if you save just one life then its worth the bandwidth & breath to try. We can only hope.

If you care about the health & safety of your bird please make sure all dangers esp cats & dogs are not in contact with the bird.

We urge you to stay & research especially as eclectus have very specialized diet needs to keep them healthy.

Not wanting to address safety more than a nice welcome but your bird is in real danger so you do need to protect them.

This is the place to learn how to take care of your bird so that they may have a long happy healthy life with you.

:welave:

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
FYI: Even though you may think close contact with the dog cute AA does not allow photos & video of birds in dangerous situations such as "playing" with a dog as we do not promote birds being put at risk of severe injury or death.

Kev is not aware that any moment this "play" could turn deadly therefore it is up to you his "Dad" to protect him.

The family needs to be educated that this play is dangerous & the dog needs to be away from the bird at all times even when you are not home. It would be very traumatic for the kids to see Kev seriously injured or killed by the dog & its certainly not fair to Kev.

I got home several days ago and the kids said "Kev and Tippa have been playing!" The bird's head is actually wet from the dog's saliva. The bird bites (nibbles) on his eyes, cheeks, tongue and mouth. Kev will fly to where the dog is and the two go at it for 10mins Tippa will nudge him and partially squash him with his head, and the bird tries to chew on every part of his face. Its the only time the dog is gentle with. I took some amusing footage today of them I can post it if anyone's interested.

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Kev's Dad Welcome to AA! I hope you stay. Lots of members used to think such things were okay. We're here to learn. :)

Anyhow, I doubt this is fun for the bird. You can enjoy your pets separately. There are lots of members here with both birds and dogs/ other animals.