• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Dove Mama in Need of Advice

Chloe88

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone! A couple days ago, I adopted an eight year old female ringneck dove. She still seems to be a bit stressed from the move so I've been giving her space and letting her get acclimated to her new home. I want to get a second dove to be her companion, but I'm not sure when to do it.

I would kind of like to have a
chance to bond with her myself before adding another bird to the mix. Is this sound reasoning? Or would it be better to get her a friend ASAP so that we can get all these big changes over with at once? My concern is that if I get the second dove right away, the birds will bond with one another and not with me. What do you experienced dove-lovers think?

Related questions:

-Do you find that your doves do better in same sex pairs or male/female pairs?

-Does it matter if her companion is a ringneck with the same coloration? She is tan and white, but I was thinking about trying to get a pure white ringneck to be her friend.

-Would she bond with a dove of another species? I've always liked mourning doves, but I am more concerned with ensuring that she has a friend with whom to cuddle, groom, etc.

-Do you have any tips and tricks for bonding with a new Dove?

-Any other words of wisdom for a brand new Dove Mama? I've had parrots in the past, but this is my first dove.

Those are all the questions I have for now. Any advice that you more experienced dove parents might have for me would be most welcome!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I unfortunately have no dove experience but think they're adorable. @Birdbabe ? @Odin ?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hi! I have a ring neck dove, shes an old gal, shes 16..she was alone for a while, but has bonded with a couple rescue pigeons I had here, and now is bonded with my last rescue pidge, who is staying forever. Doves do ok on they're own as long as you spend time with them. Give her time to settle in, theres no guarantee she will bond with another, but she may, if you decide to do this, take it slow and easy, doves can actually be very territorial and vicious.. they are quiet and cuddly once they settle and trust you. Take it day by day and see how she does. Welcome to AA!!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It is illegal to keep a mourning dove.
Ringneck doves are an entirely different genus and are native to Africa, while mourning doves are native the North America and are protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918.

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
My doves are pretty new to the rescue, they are super quiet and if I do handle them, they don't seem super upset. They have hay, strings, bells and baskets to play with. I feed them canary seed, harrisons high potency pellets and goldenfeast seed mix, they are offered fresh food daily but not showing much interest.
As for advice, I think the same as any bird new to their home, just be patient. I didn't know much when I got mine.

Go to Google. There is a plethora of information on there. :)

Chloe88

Thank you for the responses everyone! I have named my dove Phoebe :) She still seems a bit freaked from the move, but she is gradually settling down. I've been spending time in the same room with her but we haven't yet gotten to the point where she's comfortable with letting me touch her.

She's been making two different sounds in my hearing. One is a "Hoo hoo" sound that reminds me of the chorus in "Sympathy for the Devil" by The Rolling Stones. Am I correct in thinking that the "hoo hoo" is a happy dove sound? Or at least not a freaked out dove sound?

She also makes a sound at me when I first enter the room sometimes that reminds me a bit of a turkey gobble. I get the feeling that it's a fearful, possibly territorial sound. Is anyone out there fluent in ringneck dove language? Should I be concerned about either of these noises? What do they mean? Are there noises I'm not hearing that I should be?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The "hoo hoo" is her normal cooing, the " Turkey gobble" is a laughing kind of sound, both good!

Chloe88

Thank you @Birdbabe! I'm glad that the turkey sound is a good one! And it's good to know that the "hoo hoo" is normal as well!