• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Conure Parents

Bama

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
Hello everyone, I’m new your forums do bear with me. I have had two Conures Kiwi and Phoenix since 2015 I’m just now experiencing being a Bama (birdgrandma) lol. They have been great parents and being new to this I have left them to feed the babies they are 6 weeks old now and 5 ounces each. I am we ondering when I will know when they are ready to wean from the parents? The parents are given seed and fruits quinoa rice yogurt all the good stuff. I still have them in the nesting box should I start bringing them out for a time with the parents? After weaning would it be a good idea to supplement bird formula along with seed fruits and vegetables yo introduce them to a variety of foods? I am using gloves to handle them when I need to. Hope that’s ok as well. Any advice is appreciated as I move forward on this new adventure. Nice to be here. Hope you all have s blessed week. Thank you Susan

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Bama

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
How would I see my messages or replies to my questions?

LovieLouie

Sprinting down the street
You will see at the alert up top -by the bell icon. It will show a notification then if you click you can see what the notification is for.

Also While waiting for someone to answer your specific questions you can search -weaning- in the search bar and maybe find some help in older threads.

How would I see my messages or replies to my questions?

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hello and welcome to AA. I think conures are very smart birds. They do not mix well with other species. Do you have homes yet for the babies? We love baby pictures.

LovieLouie

Sprinting down the street
Awe your birds are beautiful! I understand forums can be a little confusing until you get used to it

Here are some links I pulled from a recent thread on weaning:

this is the entire thread I pulled them from:

I don’t know if you will find any of the answers you are looking for in here as I know nothing about weaning but it doesn’t hurt to start there until someone can better answer your questions..

Bama

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
Awe your birds are beautiful! I understand forums can be a little confusing until you get used to it

Here are some links I pulled from a recent thread on weaning:

this is the entire thread I pulled them from:

I don’t know if you will find any of the answers you are looking for in here as I know nothing about weaning but it doesn’t hurt to start there until someone can better answer your questions..

Bama

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
Thank you. The parents are feeding the babies looking to know what to look for when they are weaned from the parents.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Susan,

The chicks are living with the parents? If so, then the parents will do all the work and wean their young. You will see the little ones copy their parents exploring foods as well as still receiving food from their parents crop.
You will know the birds are weaned when they no longer get fed by the parents, and will eat adult foods on their own.
Once the chicks are feathered, be sure to offer a variety of foods to the adults for them to share with their young.

You don´t need to wear gloves to handle them. Just wash and dry your hands thoroughly before handling - I like to rub my hands together too to warm them again before toughing young chicks.

Bama

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
Hello Susan,

The chicks are living with the parents? If so, then the parents will do all the work and wean their young. You will see the little ones copy their parents exploring foods as well as still receiving food from their parents crop.
You will know the birds are weaned when they no longer get fed by the parents, and will eat adult foods on their own.
Once the chicks are feathered, be sure to offer a variety of foods to the adults for them to share with their young.

You don´t need to wear gloves to handle them. Just wash and dry your hands thoroughly before handling - I like to rub my hands together too to warm them again before toughing young chicks.
Thank you very much this information is very helpful. The chicks are still in the nesting box 6 weeks old I was told if I bring them out for awhile and offer seed and vegetables etc that mom may stop feeding them and I would have to pick the feeding up then is this true? Should I also now offer chick formula during this time? I look forward to corresponding with you.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
By the looks of them they are a while away from solid adult foods just yet. Let the parents take care of them while they are doing a good job. As a novice it is your best chance of a successful clutch.
They don´t need chick formula if the parents are on a good balanced diet including pellets and vegetables, as they should be for breeding.

Unless the parents stop feeding the chicks, you don´t need to do anything RE food except being sure you are giving the parents their pellets and a variety of vegetables, lugumbres and whatever else you feed them.

Bama

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
By the looks of them they are a while away from solid adult foods just yet. Let the parents take care of them while they are doing a good job. As a novice it is your best chance of a successful clutch.
They don´t need chick formula if the parents are on a good balanced diet including pellets and vegetables, as they should be for breeding.

Unless the parents stop feeding the chicks, you don´t need to do anything RE food except being sure you are giving the parents their pellets and a variety of vegetables, lugumbres and whatever else you feed them.
Thank you very much for this information. Very helpful. I did think I should wait until they are 13 weeks or so before introducing anything like seed etc. so will wait. Should I bring them out of the nesting box yet at short periods of time?

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Thank you very much for this information. Very helpful. I did think I should wait until they are 13 weeks or so before introducing anything like seed etc. so will wait. Should I bring them out of the nesting box yet at short periods of time?
Personally I would leave the babies in there until they can eat solid foods, incase they get rejected by the parents after being handled. Just continue to make sure the parents have veggies, cuttlefish for calcium and a good brand of pellets and you should be fine.