• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Conure ONLY Eating Pellets

hellobirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kasey
Hi guys! I just got a new baby sun conure last Thursday and my vet appointment isn’t until next Saturday so I wanted to see if anyone had diet advice.

We’re progressing quickly with the trust building. She will step onto my hand when I offer it and she likes hanging out under my hoodie. She’s a very cuddly bird.

She hatched November 17th and was weaned onto Zupreem pellets. The breeder says she also likes eating apple and millet.

I have tried giving her millet, but she mostly ignores it. If she does eat it, she only picks at it a little before going back to ignoring it. I have offered her various dried fruits and a fresh banana and a couple of nuts. She will take these into her beak and then drop them. If I offer them a second time they are ignored. I have seen her vigorously chowing down on pellets, but I can’t get her to eat anything else! Will this pass? If it doesn’t pass and it turns out I have a picky birb, do I need to worry about the nutritional value of the pellets alone? I haven’t tried vegetables or apples yet and I’m picking some up this afternoon.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I wouldn't worry much yet. Technically, the pellets are nutritionally complete, and any issues with pellet only diets are usually long term (ie years).

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
If you'd like to introduce your baby to new foods, try to puree safe veggies and crushed pellets in a bird bread mix, so that the familiat flavor of the pellets is still present, along with tidbits of new stuff.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Rather than trying to feed her so many fruits (fruits have way too much sugar and carbohydrates which metabolizes directly to fat) try getting her to eat vegetables. Pieces of broccoli, carrot slices, green beans, chunks of baked sweet potatoes, peas and I'm sure others can suggest more. Also start giving her pieces of green leafy vegetable romaine lettuce, kale, parsely Start her on a good diet now and she will be set for a healthy life.

Personally, I would not feed her any millet - seeds are deficient in nutrition and high in fats.

She is very young so you have a long time. She will probably just play with her veggies for a long time, but will eventually start eating them.

@Mizzely can you please post your pellet link, so she can look over the pellets for her baby.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

hellobirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kasey
Thank you for all of your replies! I got her some organic kale at the store and she kinda bit into it and then ... threw it at me. Granted, she was also trying to climb me at the time. I’ve been trying to keep her off my shoulder until she learns to step up, but if she won’t take treats I’m not sure how to reward her. I’m almost wondering if she’s not eating when she’s out of the cage because she’s too busy trying to make it to my shoulder. She only stops fighting to get up there if I put her on my chest and pull my hoodie or blanket over her. (She’s been trying to get under my hair). Tonight I’ll put a few different things in her bowl and see if she will eat them in her cage tomorrow while I’m at work. If she does, I’ll know it’s distraction rather than disinterest.

I’d really like to find something to reward her with at some point or training is going to be a challenge.

hellobirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kasey
This article is awesome! I got some Nutriberries tonight to use as treats because I read they were healthy and great for foraging, but I had no idea the author considers them to be a staple food. Sunna has shunned them so far but I’m going to leave one in the cage with her tomorrow as part of my diet experiment mix.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Try slivered almonds as a healthy training treat :)

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Since she's a very young bird, maybe try some organic baby food (veggies like kale, squash, sweet potato, etc.) and mix some pellets in a spoonful as a treat...