• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New conure addition

JenA

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jen Authier
Hello, we have a 3 year old green cheeck conure. We decided to introduce a new green cheeck conure to him last weekend. Ours was just so lonely through the day and would stare out the window for hours waiting for someone to come home. His behaviour was very hormonal and aggressive, attacking anyone else who came over. We were desperate to settle his behaviour. So we got him a friend. She is a good bird and wants to play and sit with him, but he wants nothing to do with her. He isn’t fighting her, but nips if she comes too close. We introduced them slowly, her in her cage. Any suggestions with how to make this any easier? Will ours ever accept a new friend? Not sure if we made the right decision, but regarding behaviour, we were desperate. Ours is not attacking us anymore at least. His behaviour has definitely gotten better, but he is very jealous and annoyed.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Sometimes it can take awhile for them to become comfortable. I would just let them out on their own cages and let them decide if they want to play or interact. Just let them go at their own pace. I have one who took several years to get along with others. Just like people, even though we are all human, we don't want to hang out with one another just because its another person in the vicinity. I think given his behavior has calmed, he is likely thinking about things.

JenA

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jen Authier
Sometimes it can take awhile for them to become comfortable. I would just let them out on their own cages and let them decide if they want to play or interact. Just let them go at their own pace. I have one who took several years to get along with others. Just like people, even though we are all human, we don't want to hang out with one another just because its another person in the vicinity. I think given his behavior has calmed, he is likely thinking about things.
Thank you for your comments. It’s just been a few days so we do need patience. I just hate seeing our bird stressed.