• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New cockatiel

Evey612

Moving in
Real Name
Evey mallery
Hello all , I hope I’m posting this in the correct place as I’m new to forums. I brought a cockatiel who is 6-7 months old and a male, I got him 6 days ago , he eats his seed well and drinks but he sits on his food bowl all day and only moves to go for a drink , I opened his cage 3 days ago to take some apple out and he got out . I let him have a fly around ( seems to like sitting on top of the Christmas tree) he flies really well. I put a long perch up to him for him to get on and he did and I put him back in his cage. The last 3 mornings he has climbed all around the front of his cage and I think it is to come out, I let him stay out for 1-2 hours. But then the rest of the day he just sits on the food bowl at the front of the cage. The day he came home he seemed happy, he tried every toy in the cage and climbed around like spiderman. He lets the very odd little noises out a couple of times a day. When he was at the pet shop he was constantly shouting ( very load like a squawk). He was in a small cage with 2 large birds and only 1 perch for them to share. He looks very healthy. Could it just be he needs to settle in? I just want him to be happy I talk to him loads and sit by his cage on the settee, plus he won’t try anything but his seed but on his first day he tried apple as soon as I put it in his cage but since then nothing, I hope you could help me out please

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
First off, he is adorable, and your Christmas tree is fabulous. If I was a bird I would want to sit up there too! I don’t know what the white flocking stuff on the tree is made out of, so I wouldn’t let him nibble on it.

What size cage is he in? It sounds like he wants to come out and he might miss the other birds he was with. In addition, he is still settling in, so he will probably get more active as time goes on.

Since he was such a good bird stepping onto the perch, I would try to train him to do that consistently. Find a treat he loves, like maybe millet, and only give it to him when he does a behavior you like. Have him step on the stick and give him a treat and put him back on the tree. This way he won’t associate the stick with being put away every time. Do this a couple of times, and then when you do put him back in his cage, give him the treat and take him out again. Maybe put him back on the tree and do it again. The point being, you don't want him to think every time he goes back in his cage playtime is over. Watch his body language though. He might get frustrated with the training, so keep it short.

When he is out, keep all the rest of his food in the cage so he will be happy to train, and be happy to go back to his cage to eat. Having a perch outside his door might be helpful.

One other thing, a loosely structured routine is helpful so your bird will know when to expect out of cage time.

Evey612

Moving in
Real Name
Evey mallery
Thank you for the advice, I watch him when he is in the tree to make sure he doesn’t peck anything, the only thing he pecks is his bells in his cage and that’s not a lot , we use the stick when he sits somewhere a bit silly like the blinds, he has an open top cage with a perch on and we sit him on there to watch the world go by, he won’t eat anything but his seed , I tried him on egg tonight and he stayed the other side of the cage until I took it out he has millet and honey bar and he has never touched them. He hisses when we try to cover his cage at night, he always seems to be listening and taking notice when we talk to him he never flutters away and when I have to go into his cage he doesn’t move unless I get really close then he just walks away, so I don’t think he is scarred, I just want him to be happy and I want to give him the world , I had a cockatiel many years ago and he was so much fun never hand tame but very funny,

Attachments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm honestly not a fan of open top cages, but the cage seems a decent enough size. Personally though, I would recommend tossing out those dishes because they are deep! Go with some shallower ones instead. (at least, that's my suggestion!)

You might try lowering the food dish or raising the perches so he's not sitting on the dish. Maybe placing some perches up higher if he doesn't have some already?

It does sound like he needs some time to settle in and learn what's healthy for him, but it can be hard convincing a bird that seeds aren't all that healthy for them! ;) Just part of the diet, but not the main diet! lol Maybe some different toys may take his fancy in time, too?

I don't cover my bird's cages and recently had to do some rearranging, which means disturbing them in the middle of the night at times. They may wake up and move about or chirp but usually settle back down quite quickly... unless it's Charlie, in which case he might squawk his head off for a few moments before settling back down! Occasionally though, one bird will make their way to a food dish for a late night snack.... ah well. My flock tends to get pretty "bomb proof" with all the bumps and noises in the night!

Evey612

Moving in
Real Name
Evey mallery
Thank you for the reply, I have just ordered him some new bowls and toys from amazon, he already has toys but a few more won’t harm anyone, I just hope he comes out of his shell soon because I feel sorry for him ☹

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Congrats! E215EADA-F1F1-4A89-8558-BA5D72557A7C.jpeg He is adorable :heart2: I love the Xmas tree pic.
I agree with Monica, I also find shallow dishes easier for them to forage through their food. If they’re too deep, at least with mybirds they never get to the food on the bottom.
I found a great perch /bowl on Etsy and both my birds LOVE it! They like hanging out on the perch and preening after eating too...actually I need to get a second one, as all other bowls are now unacceptable to to them :lol:

Evey612

Moving in
Real Name
Evey mallery
Hello, I really like the look of the bowl , I will pop on and have a look thank you, I have seen one on amazon I was thinking of trying gust need to see if it will be ok as I don’t want to remove bars from the cage and it’s no good ( I have got some small bowls coming but when buying online it doesn’t always be what you expected when it arrives) I love your cage set up , he has been here 6 days and already spoilt rotten he has several presents under the Christmas tree and has even got a Christmas Eve box , do you think he will be ok trying a Christmas dinner ? Our canary passed away 2 weeks ago and he loved a roast dinner ( no meat though) and should I get him a mirror or not, my last cockatiel had one and loved it but some say they shouldn’t have one

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Generally, I don't think mirrors are a good idea. Your bird might not know how to play. You may actually have to play with some toys and let him watch to get his interest. One easy thing that tiels seems to love is just to thread some paper through the cage bars and let them chew on it. I have been using the inserts that come in magazines (not scented ones) because the paper is a little thicker and folding it like a fan and putting it between the bars. Both of my current tiels love it. As for dinner... what exactly do you mean? It's not good for tiels to have foods that have salt etc.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
No experience with that feeder, but it looks like it's meant to be used with food doors that have a door that slides up?

I also do not recommend mirrors.

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
I had a similar “no mess” bowl they could walk into, and I loved it since it prevented seeds from being flung all over. However, one of my birds didn’t seem to care for it. He would always seem on edge when he walked in to get some food, so I quit using it (for now- they seem to change what they like and dislike daily lol) You May need to try a few, but one thing for sure is he will let you know what he likes and what he doesn’t!
Regarding Xmas dinner, besides making sure anything you give him is bird safe you also need to make sure there’s no butter, salt etc..if your family doesn’t like unsalted, unbuttered food you could take some of it out for his portion before they are added. (If possible)
Have fun getting to know him! :joyful: There may be a lot of trial and error with toys, bowls etc in the beginning. I can’t even count how many things I bought for my birds thinking they’d love it, only to have them ignore or hate them!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica