• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New cockatiel trouble

jwill323

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Julia
Hi everyone, I just brought home a new cockatiel a week ago. At the pet store I was told he was tame, and I quickly found out that wasn’t true. I did so much research on cockatiels but still I think we rushed it and got him out of his cage too early and now he’s just terrified of our hands and a little cage aggressive. We took a step back and now I just leave his cage door open when I’m home to give him the option to explore (which he doesn’t take) and sit and talk with him. He’s comfortable with me outside of his cage and has started to interact with me positively, but when I place my hand inside of the cage (slowly, and leave it still and don’t approach him) he aggressively flaps his wings.

I know it’s only been a week and I need to give him more time but I’m so stressed I’ve badly messed up our first impression and he won’t ever come to trust/love me. Also, he’s not treat motivated at all so I’ve had to make me leaving him alone the reward for him putting up with my hand in his cage, which also feels regressive.

when I read about cockatiel training online it always sounds so much easier than this, like young birds want attention right away, but he wants nothing to do with me and it makes me so sad. I’m desperate for tips to earn his trust and finally start building a relationship with him.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can regain his trust. Just take things at his pace. I never force my birds out of their cage. You can try putting a perch just outside the cage door and hang some millet by it. Millet can be a big motivator. Is he flighted? Just make sure it is safe for him to come out if he does come out. You can also try hand feeding him millet through the cage bars to teach him hands can bring good things. I also sit and read to my new birds. It gets them used to your presence in a nonthreatening way.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Barbara Heidenreich has some good training/taming resources if you Google her.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Julia! :)

Try not to be discouraged too soon, it´s only early days. Michelle gave some great tips. Just sitting by the cage feeding treats sounds simple but it really does help.

Here is a thread I think will be helpful;

Some additional training resources;