• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Cockatiel suddenly starts singing/screaming

Nukavine

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob Goad
I don't know if it's bad or good, but just in case it's bad I want to check here. The title says it all, he's only been here a few days would barely chirp and now he's just going. I'll whistle he'll stop for a second and then he'll keep going

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Does he whistle/sing or make the same sound over and over again? Does he look distressed while vocalizing? He could be contact calling flockmates if he came from a place with other Tiels or asking for attention. In the latter case you could be reinforcing his behavior by whistling back to him:) he could also be distressed about something perhaps. Any particular times he does it?

Nukavine

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob Goad
Well he just starts doing it and looking around. Sometimes it's after he eats and other times it's after he plays with his toys. I do whistle back to him. There was one other Tiel l in the cage we got him from. He also moves his head down in front of the perch.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Maybe you could watch some Youtube vids and use screaming Cockatiel in the search, or singing cockatiel...? That way you could describe what he is sounding like and maybe someone here will have advice.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My cockatiel sings and carries on because he likes the sound of his own voice. It's not necessarily a bad thing.
If he's singing, it actually sounds to me like hes becoming comfortable in his environment, and voicing his happiness in the classic cockatiel way.

Nukavine

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob Goad
Ok so first he makes a clicking noise, or maybe it's a grinding like noise I can't tell, with his beak after he eats, drinks, or plays with his toys and then he'll start singing. Sometimes he'll stop at the clicking noise and just fluff up a bit and chill.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
He is happy, its called beak grinding

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
You've just got a happy 'tiel!

Nukavine

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob Goad
Well that's good to know. Thank you all for the help.

Apple71354

Moving in
Real Name
Jennifer
I don't know if it's bad or good, but just in case it's bad I want to check here. The title says it all, he's only been here a few days would barely chirp and now he's just going. I'll whistle he'll stop for a second and then he'll keep going

Apple71354

Moving in
Real Name
Jennifer
Maybe he wants out of the cage. Do you let him out much?

Pipper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Andy
He's calling to tell other tiels there is a good food and water supply in the cage is all. Mine was mostly silent as the people that gave him to me said he had been alone for years but recently I got a indian Ringneck that imitates a cockatiel call and since then he has started calling as he probably hasn't since many years ago when he had another tiel cage mate. My Indian Ringneck is kept in a separate cage though as she is not take and can bite very hard!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It sounds to me like your cockatiel is very content and happy!