• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New cockatiel pls help

Poochibird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
Hello,
I have just got my cockatiel today! He is very shy and scared, won’t come near me.
I’ve left food in his cage. Just seeking advice how to get him to warm up to me. Is it better to let him have alone time when I’m not in the room or should I sit nearby constantly doing my own thing?
How long did it take your bird to warm up to you?
he was hand tamed but his owners had gone on holiday for three days so he kind of retreated back to not being used to people

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’d read to him. Mine are all still warming up & I got the first two almost a year ago.

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard
Be patient with the little feathery friend!
He is still adjusting to the new environment, sing to him offer him food from your hand!
Eventually he'll warm up to you.

I have had my male Dusty for years and he was never really tamed when I got him and it's only just now he's around me.

Malibu was handtamed and handfed (had to finish the last part of her feedings)
She took around a week to adjust to her new environment

Poochibird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
Be patient with the little feathery friend!
He is still adjusting to the new environment, sing to him offer him food from your hand!
Eventually he'll warm up to you.

I have had my male Dusty for years and he was never really tamed when I got him and it's only just now he's around me.

Malibu was handtamed and handfed (had to finish the last part of her feedings)
She took around a week to adjust to her new environment
When you hand feed how do you suggest I do it? I’m trying to not put my hands in his cage since that’s his safe area, at least that’s what I read.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
When you hand feed how do you suggest I do it? I’m trying to not put my hands in his cage since that’s his safe area, at least that’s what I read.
I find that offering a piece of spray millet is a great way to bond with a shy or skittish bird. It allows for some distance between them and your hand, while also reinforcing the idea that you're a source of treats and positive experiences.

Poochibird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
I find that offering a piece of spray millet is a great way to bond with a shy or skittish bird. It allows for some distance between them and your hand, while also reinforcing the idea that you're a source of treats and positive experiences.
Thank you! I’ve tried that, he’s still too scared to eat at all though. He’s flying crazy around his cage
At what point should I be concerned he isn’t eating? I heard they can go without food for 2-3 days. He just isn’t drinking either though

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Give him a minute or week. Look at it this way, he just got to whole new environment, different cage possibly, strange person feeding and watering him, strange noises and list goes on and on and on.
He going to scared, very upset and even more unsettled. His world has been rocked and rocked hard.
So how to do get him to eat, put the food in his dishes and let him be. Talk softly, carry treats with you every time you pass his cage ask if he wants treat like nutriberry, sprig globe of millet, a sunflower seed. Don't expect him to take it from your hand. Just put it his food dish and walk away. Do this many times a day. Read to him anything that you like to read. Sit by his cage if possible on the floor below him and talk quietly, read to him quietly.
You have to give him the time to settle in to his new home. May sure he is getting enough sleep 12 hours of darkness, no loud noises, no tv or radio, just peace and quiet. If possible cover his cage with dark cloth even bed sheet will do. Cockatiels are prone to night fights so set up a 5 watt night light near to his cage.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
One day is not enough time to tame a Birdy, if he was tame before, then you should advance a little faster if you don't force him, just take your time with him :)

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard
Thank you! I’ve tried that, he’s still too scared to eat at all though. He’s flying crazy around his cage
At what point should I be concerned he isn’t eating? I heard they can go without food for 2-3 days. He just isn’t drinking either though
Don't give up just yet! Keep trying and use a very careful body language, no very loud sounds and sudden movements.
I'm sure he'll get around eventually!
If he doesn't want millet you can always try different foods and snacks.
(But don't force it ofc, this leads to bad experiences for both of you)

However when you talk about he isn't eating, how does his droppings look? How old is he?
There might also be a chance he's eating when not around though. Keeping an eye on a droppings is usually a good indicator for that.

Poochibird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
Don't give up just yet! Keep trying and use a very careful body language, no very loud sounds and sudden movements.
I'm sure he'll get around eventually!
If he doesn't want millet you can always try different foods and snacks.
(But don't force it ofc, this leads to bad experiences for both of you)

However when you talk about he isn't eating, how does his droppings look? How old is he?
There might also be a chance he's eating when not around though. Keeping an eye on a droppings is usually a good indicator for that.
Thank you everyone! He started eating yesterday, I upgraded his cage sooner than planned (if you saw my other posts) and that seemed to make him happy. I went out and came home an hour later he flew up to me and started eating out his bowl! Best feeling ever!!
Now baby steps for getting him to eat out of my hand and stand on me.
im going to post a photo of him on another post look out for that ☺