• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New cockatiel need advice

TheFatBIRB

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David
Hi, I might be getting a cockatiel not sure what gender got any advice?

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
What do you need advice on? What gender to choose or how to know what gender they are?

TheFatBIRB

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David
What do you need advice on? What gender to choose or how to know what gender they are?
Just anything that comes to mind. I have done a lot of research so I was just seeing if anyone had anything that I did not know. Gender identification would be great that's one thing I am struggling with!:)

:budgie2:Mo :budgie:Winnie

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
My cockatiel is wonderful. I didn’t know the gender when I made the deposit on him, but found out later. I’m sure you’ve already read that male cockatiels are generally far louder and noisier than females. I don’t think there’s one gender that is better to have. You will have a lifelong friend no matter which gender it is.

As for general advice, just make sure you have a proper sized cage with a variety of perches and toys.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Just anything that comes to mind. I have done a lot of research so I was just seeing if anyone had anything that I did not know. Gender identification would be great that's one thing I am struggling with!:)

:budgie2:Mo :budgie:Winnie
I'm not super experienced with tiels, but I have heard that females tend to stay greys as adults, and the males gain the yellow crest. Don't take my word for that though ;)

TheFatBIRB

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David
My cockatiel is wonderful. I didn’t know the gender when I made the deposit on him, but found out later. I’m sure you’ve already read that male cockatiels are generally far louder and noisier than females. I don’t think there’s one gender that is better to have. You will have a lifelong friend no matter which gender it is.

As for general advice, just make sure you have a proper sized cage with a variety of perches and toys.
Got it, thanks!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Gender identification depends on the mutation. Some can be visually sexed and some can't. And they can't be visually sexed until they mature. Juveniles will appear as female and then males will molt out into their male coloring depending on the mutation.