• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New cockatiel mama

Kestrel

Strolling the yard
Hello everyone!
I am the proud new bird mama of a cinnamon pearl peid cockatiel baby! And I'm SO excited! I have been looking forward to getting this bird for years. I don't know if it's a girl or boy yet though fingers crossed it's a boy because the egg laying thing does scare me (but yes I do know he will lose his pearls if he's a boy). He/she is only 4 weeks old so it will be at least a couple of weeks before I actually bring it home. I am considering weaning him/her myself but I'm a little nervous, I have never done that before.
Anyway, I want to make sure I give him/her the absolute BEST life possible so that's why I am here. :) 20190403_170408(0).jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congratulations!!!! S/he´s adorable!!!!!❤

I would recommend allowing the breeder to wean the bird. It will take the stress away from you ;)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue...and congrats on your upcoming addition!
I am considering weaning him/her myself but I'm a little nervous, I have never done that before.
...unless you are completely comfortable weaning a baby, my thought is to wait until the little one is done with that process...;)

Anyway...s/he is absolutely cute...:D

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Welcome to AA @Kestrel. You've already had great advice. Only thing I can add is so long as the breeder doesn't mind spend as much time as you can with your baby while he/she is being weaned. Build up that bond now so the move to his/her forever home is a lot easier on both of you.
Oh, and don't forget to enjoy the experience.

Kestrel

Strolling the yard
Baby will be stunning. Have a name yet?
Thank you! I think so too. There were SO many pretty babies to choose from. It was between this little guy and a white face cinnamon peid (I LOVE the white faced tiels). But this little one started making eye contact with me and talking to me with his little chirps, so I fell in love LOL.
I haven't picked a name yet and I am open to suggestions! I'm considering the name Airendi but I think I won't decide for sure until I can see what name fits his/her personality.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Kestrel

Strolling the yard
Welcome to AA @Kestrel. ...so long as the breeder doesn't mind spend as much time as you can with your baby while he/she is being weaned. Build up that bond now so the move to his/her forever home is a lot easier on both of you.
Oh, and don't forget to enjoy the experience.
Thank you, that is good advice! I have the option to see him/her up to four days a week. I was planning to stop by once a week maybe twice a week (because I don't want to totally drive the breeder crazy). Would you recommend more often than that? I stopped by yesterday and today and I noticed today that s/he was shaking (trembling) while I was holding him and he wasn't doing that yesterday. For that reason I didn't hold him long today because I didn't want to stress him out. He's so tiny.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Congrats on your baby 'tiel. Best to let the breeder finish the feeding and then get him once he is fully weaned.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Thank you, that is good advice! I have the option to see him/her up to four days a week. I was planning to stop by once a week maybe twice a week (because I don't want to totally drive the breeder crazy). Would you recommend more often than that? I stopped by yesterday and today and I noticed today that s/he was shaking (trembling) while I was holding him and he wasn't doing that yesterday. For that reason I didn't hold him long today because I didn't want to stress him out. He's so tiny.
If he/she is scared when you hold it then spend more time just being with him/her. Talk, sing or read to him/her. Just spend time with him/her, anything you do will help.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran