• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New cockatiel is sleepy and puffed up

Sphenisciforme

Moving in
IMG_1008.JPG My new 3 month old cockatiel which I got yesterday is puffed up on a perch not doing much of anything. My room is 75F and she seems pretty sleepy. I haven't seen her drink or eat any of the millet or bird seed in her cage. Her droppings seem a little liquidy though otherwise normal. The only time she isn't puffed up and sleepy is when she picks at her wooden toy next to her.

When I got her from a bird center she was active and wasn't puffed up. With this being her second day home the only time my hands were in the cage was when I needed to change her food and water. I'm sure she's pretty nervous being in a new environment and all, but I'm not sure if she's sick or if I'm just over reacting.

datlamb

Sprinting down the street
welcome! your cockatiel looks adorable.

in the picture she seems very alert to your presence. i would worry if even though you were in the room, talking and moving, she would close her eyes and be puffed.

her inactivity, lack of eating and drinking and abnormal poop can all be attributed to being in a hew home. it's quite a big change for her!

if you are worried just keep an eye on her, if you think she's getting more lethargic go see a vet, it's always a good thing to do with a new bird anyway.

goodluck! keep us posted!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on your new bird, she's awfully cute! She's probably just worried about her new environment. You might want to cover three sides of her cage so she doesn't have to be so alert. Hopefully she will get more active in a few days. As with any new bird, you should make an appointment with a avian vet for a check up as @datlamb mentioned. Please keep us updated on your little birds progress!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
you rocked her little world and she needs time to adjust. but do get her in for wellness exam with avian vet.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. Your tiel is very cute.

Catherine89

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
What a cutie, I'm in agreement with everyone else's. It was a big change she just went through, and she needs time a adjust. I would definitely take her to the vet for a check up . I know I did with mine and it realvied a lot of worry.

What's your little teils name ? She really is a cutie

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
She's cute! I would guess new environment and the fact that she's still a baby. Do a vet checkup just in case if you're concerned