• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Cockatiel- Frank

Courtkoz

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Courtney
Hi! My name’s Courtney and just got my new bird Saturday evening. I have done a ton of research on Cockatiels and how to tame them. However, I feel I either forgot everything when we brought him home or I just can’t remember. He has barely made a peep. He seems super sweet and was hand raised. But he hisses if he gets out of his cage. He let me pet his neck and head when we got home with him but since then has been too afraid. If I get close he hisses or opens his mouth and backs away. He will eat his food, but haven’t seen him drink any water. I want to clean some of the perches and parts of cage, as he’s already made a mess but he won’t come out. Should I force him out or just leave him in there while I try to clean things? The past 2 days I’ve been sitting by his cage, singing to him and talking to him. I’m trying so hard and don’t want to screw this up. Any advice would be great! Thank you! 9267BD2C-E7DB-43C1-9CD5-52403350B5FD.jpeg

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
It seems like normal behavior for a new birdie. He also looks like a baby still, baby birds aren’t super talkative unlike grownup birds.
I honestly wouldn’t clean anything unless you absolutely need to, but don’t make him come out. If he flies out and won’t go back to his cage, you’ll have to grab him to put him back in which would break any trust you already had built with him. Don’t let him out of the cage until he trusts you

Also, they’re tropical birds and don’t drink much water. Just be sure to watch for signs of dehydration (Sunken in eyes, sickly looking toes, lethargy, etc). I also hear they mostly drink water in the early morning.
Some birds are picky, I’ve heard of owners having to change their birds water 3-6 times a day. You could try changing the water more.

Good luck with him! Be sure to offer lots of treats, soothing tones, and patience. I think you’re doing good already! :heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Your tiel is really cute. How old is he? It usually takes birds a little time to settle in. I would spend time just sitting with him and even reading to him. It sounds silly but it's away for him to get used to your presence and your voice in a nonthreatening way. If he seems super scared, you can cover his cage on 3 sides for a few days so he doesn't have to be on "alert" for danger on all 4 sides. I would not force him out. Once you are comfortable, you can start leaving the door open to see if he will come out on his own. You can hang a perch just outside the door with some millet spray or something that he likes to coax him out.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Courtney! 1.welcome signs.gif

Frank sure is a cutie! :swoon:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a cutie! :heart: When he does come out on his own, don’t force him back in, but just leave all his food in his cage so he will go back when he is hungry. Allow yourself plenty of time. He will warm up eventually, it just takes time and patience.

melissa68

Walking the driveway
when i first got my boy I put him in his cage and left the door open and ignored him. I would go sit near his cage and talk to him for a few mins and then head back to the couch. Let him come out on his own. Is he clipped? If he can't fly put sticks from the doors to the floors for him to be able to leave the cage. If he can fly I would also suggest putting perches near the open doors, on the outside of the cage.

Don't worry about cleaning the cage now.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Frank is adorable!! Welcome :)

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
WELCOME to the Avenue!!! :bliss:

When the time comes to clean his cage, you might want to relocate the perch that got dirty so quickly-- Just try to be aware of the 'drop zone'...

[are you sure he's a he?]... [Sorry, but I haven't done cockatiels in a very long time]