• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New cockatiel baby, I need advice.

PiedTiel

Moving in
I’m going to pick up my, soon to be, 9-10 week old cockatiel in about a month. I’ve done lots of research, but from you cockatiel owners and experts, I was hoping for any tips. Feel free to go into as much detail as you wish. This is my first cockatiel, and I want to do the best I can.

Chris82

Strolling the yard
I'm no expert as i only had my bird 2 months and he flew away. In the first couple of weeks i kept it really slow, read to him while sitting at the cage and when he was ready just offered him millet through the bars of the cage and took it from there. Now he's just brilliant flying to me on command doing target training and spinning (sometimes) i scrolled through all the posts on here for resources and watched a lot of YouTube

PiedTiel

Moving in
I'm no expert as i only had my bird 2 months and he flew away. In the first couple of weeks i kept it really slow, read to him while sitting at the cage and when he was ready just offered him millet through the bars of the cage and took it from there. Now he's just brilliant flying to me on command doing target training and spinning (sometimes) i scrolled through all the posts on here for resources and watched a lot of YouTube
Thank you! :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So, he'll be about 12 weeks when you get him? I would just make sure he's completely weaned before you bring him home. Tiels typically don't wean until 8-12 weeks but some can take longer. It's worth waiting the extra time for him to be fully weaned. Also, baby tiels sometimes regress even then over the stress of a new home and need some hand feedings. So you want to weigh him and make sure he's eating properly when you bring him home. Also, if the breeder clips wings- which I hope he doesn't- I would encourage you to ask the breeder not to do so. Baby tiels need to fledge and learn to fly properly.

Best diet for tiels opinions vary, but I shoot for about 50% seeds, 15-20% pellets and the rest vegetables. Baby tiels are also typically clumsy. So for the first couple weeks you might want to keep the perches low in his cage in case he falls. Tiels should get 10-12 hours of sleep. They are also prone to night frights. So I always have a night light on at night for my tiels. Congrats on your new friend. :)

PiedTiel

Moving in
So, he'll be about 12 weeks when you get him? I would just make sure he's completely weaned before you bring him home. Tiels typically don't wean until 8-12 weeks but some can take longer. It's worth waiting the extra time for him to be fully weaned. Also, baby tiels sometimes regress even then over the stress of a new home and need some hand feedings. So you want to weigh him and make sure he's eating properly when you bring him home. Also, if the breeder clips wings- which I hope he doesn't- I would encourage you to ask the breeder not to do so. Baby tiels need to fledge and learn to fly properly.

Best diet for tiels opinions vary, but I shoot for about 50% seeds, 15-20% pellets and the rest vegetables. Baby tiels are also typically clumsy. So for the first couple weeks you might want to keep the perches low in his cage in case he falls. Tiels should get 10-12 hours of sleep. They are also prone to night frights. So I always have a night light on at night for my tiels. Congrats on your new friend. :)
Around 10 weeks, actually. I worded it a bit odd, sorry. Thanks so much! I will be getting the bird from a bird specialty store, who gets the birds from breeders and hand feeds them. Thankfully, the store states they will not let the young birds go home until they can navigate a cage, eat properly, and be a “bird.” I will take in your points! Again, thank you. :)