• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New CANDLING article.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Hi...I finally put together a comprehensive candling article:

Another new article is on Prolapse:

**Links fixed 11/27/2019**

Last edited by a moderator:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I definitely find these articles absolutely fascinating...especially the one on prolapse..good to get educated about this as I have two egg layers, one chronic..Sam, as you know.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Excellent photos and descriptions. I'd see so much of the good and bad in the egg process as how you show it ... the egg sure tells a story in its development. Understanding completely the development of the egg is a vital part whether it is being candled or just laying in the nest box.

As for nesting material - It was funny (odd) that no matter how much nesting material I put in the box some hens always seem to push it out of the way mostly.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
that no matter how much nesting material I put in the box some hens always seem to push it out of the way mostly.

Jan, the following info from the article might help. When the eggs are no the bare floor of the box/nest there is nothing to cushion them, and most importantly to help retain some heat.

If your pair shoves the bedding to the side of the nestbox so that the eggs and/or babies are on bare wood, there is a remedy for this. Cut a piece of heavy-duty cardboard to the size of the floor of the nestbox. Peel off the top layer of paper on one side. This will expose the corrugated center. Place the piece of cardboard, corrugated
side up, on the floor of the nestbox, then add your bedding fashioning it so that it is bowl shaped. The corrugated portion of the cardboard holds heat, so that if a parent gets off for a short time it will help keep the eggs warm. It also provides a cushion for the eggs, and later when a chick hatches it has something to grip, which is a preventative against splayed leg. Another option is to go to Home Depot or Lowes in the plant/Nursery section and get some Coconut Fiber mats (used for hanging baskets in the orchid section)and cut a piece the size of the bottom of the nestbox, then cover with your bedding.

I have also Updated my Assist hatch article:
Assisted Hatches UPDATED -             International Cockatiel Resource                          Uniting the World!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Amazing as your articles always are Susanne! They are very well done and will be of great help to many, many people like your other articles are, too. :)

Silvra

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
Thank you for this and all of your other articles. It's so useful to have all of the information together in one place and with pictures too! I used it to help me to assist with the hatch of my parrotlets first chick and then to keep it alive as it was very dehydrated.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
This article is dense with information, and all in one place. I find it fascinating!. Thanks!

Newbird17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kerry
Great article especially about the parents moving the egg for a cool down that was very helpful as my birds done this and now appear to be incubating the eggs again