• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New canaries

Nanok

Moving in
Real Name
Martin Renaud
Hi I’m new to the forums.
last year I bought my first male Red factor Canary
And have fell in love with this species of bird. I also bought 6 months ago a beautiful little green female.
Each in their own huge cage.
Recently added my male with my female and sure enough they had eggs and little ones.
To my suprise she just had a second batch of eggs. And the little one hatch already within 2 months I went from 2canaries to 6.
many tips would be gratefully accepted

Attachments

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Om cuteness! They're so beautiful. If you don't want more I would separate or swap eggs for dummies. You will probably have to separate them all eventually to prevent squabbles.
@finchly

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi, I am not sure what sort of guidance you are looking for but here are some thoughts.

The hen will be depleted of energy and some vitamins/minerals after having 2 clutches, so please don’t allow her more at this time. AS @Monaco said, swap the eggs for dummy eggs if she insists on sitting. Other ways to stop her are lowereing the daylight hours by turning out lights and/or covering the cage, rearrange items in the cage, take away all containers she might nest in.

Your cage could use some variation in perches. Consider a rope perch, a boing, a platform, or tree branches instead of one of your dowel perches. Letting them continually stand on one size/shape of dowel can often lead to bumblefoot, a painful condition.

Unless your cage is aviary size, you will probably find that they fight as the babies grow up. Separate ll males from each other. To prevent inbreeding, keep females away from males. So for example if you have 3 males and 3 females, you need 3 cages (boys) plus 1 cage (girls).

Lastly, I have no way of knowing what diet they have. I hope it includes seed mix, pellets, fresh vegetables, egg food (wet or dry or both), and a multi vitamin. And a calcium source.

Glad to have you on board!

Nanok

Moving in
Real Name
Martin Renaud
Thanks for all the info
Will take mom out this weekend to prevent another clutch.
still pretty early to differ male and females at this time.
diet fresh veggies,seeds,also pellets and sure I have minerals blocks.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
What beautiful birds! Always wanted, but never had... a canary!

WELCOME to the Avenue!!! :pinksmile:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:greet13: Welcome! Your canaries are lovely.

Gigibirds

Beautiful, BEAUTIFUL birds!! Yes, you might want to boil the eggs.....Also taking out the nest and switching things around in their cage can be very helpful. But oooh I sure do love canaries! Congrats on the babies!

Sdimas

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi I’m new to the forums.
last year I bought my first male Red factor Canary
And have fell in love with this species of bird. I also bought 6 months ago a beautiful little green female.
Each in their own huge cage.
Recently added my male with my female and sure enough they had eggs and little ones.
To my suprise she just had a second batch of eggs. And the little one hatch already within 2 months I went from 2canaries to 6.
many tips would be gratefully accepted
Hi. We are looking for a red canary. Are u planning to sell it.

Nanok

Moving in
Real Name
Martin Renaud
Hi. We are looking for a red canary. Are u planning to sell it.
I plan on starting to breed specifically red canaries this year.
ill let you know when I have some ready.

Nanok

Moving in
Real Name
Martin Renaud
Or if you are in a hurry i can pass on contac info of breeder where I got him from.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
What beautiful birds! Always wanted, but never had... a canary!

WELCOME to the Avenue!!! :pinksmile:
You would love one! I have one in the family room... he sings and sings. It’s so nice. He and the Mrs. have 5 eggs.

Nanok

Moving in
Real Name
Martin Renaud
@finchly -- would you believe I shopped at a new [to me] used bookstore... and picked up books on Canary and Canary Breeding!! [50 cents each to boot!]... You are an inspiration! :cloud9:
??
Don’t understand

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
??
Don’t understand
Since I've always wanted a Canary, and reading about you people who have a couple, then doing some 'accidental' breeding--- seemed fortuitous that I happened to find books on the subject! Yeah!

Nanok

Moving in
Real Name
Martin Renaud
It’s nature taking its course
Fairly easy to do lol
Right lights and that’s it. Nanok