• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New cage

talmirakli

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Alexander Cordina
Hi all. I'm thinking of getting a new larger cage for my CAG. She is 2 years old. Any tips on how to get her accustomed to the new cage?

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Hi and welcome!

Do you have space to set up both cages simultaneously?

If so, you can put the new cage next to current cage. Try place one of the toys or items from current cage in the new one. Start slow! Allow the bird time to check it out at their own pace.

Maybe add some new, interesting items in new cage that they can go check out in their own.

Place some of their favorite treats in food bowls to encourage them to go inside.

Then you can start serving meals inside the new cage.

Slowly (as in one or two items every few days) begin moving items from old cage to new one until they've become comfortable and accepted new. Give them as much time as they need to adjust, even up to a couple weeks if possible.

I'm sure others will have tips as well.

Good luck!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomegroup:

talmirakli

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Alexander Cordina
Hi and welcome!

Do you have space to set up both cages simultaneously?

If so, you can put the new cage next to current cage. Try place one of the toys or items from current cage in the new one. Start slow! Allow the bird time to check it out at their own pace.

Maybe add some new, interesting items in new cage that they can go check out in their own.

Place some of their favorite treats in food bowls to encourage them to go inside.

Then you can start serving meals inside the new cage.

Slowly (as in one or two items every few days) begin moving items from old cage to new one until they've become comfortable and accepted new. Give them as much time as they need to adjust, even up to a couple weeks if possible.

I'm sure others will have tips as well.

Good luck!
Thanks so much

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I've never struggled with getting my birds to go into their new cage. I just put them in with treats, and they find their way around.