• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New cage for my budgie!

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
So I found a really great deal for a cage for my single budgie, and I bought it and set it up today, and my budgie hopped right in! Very glad and very excited for my budgie to be in a larger cage finally.

I am concerned that I didn't space it out correctly, because I put the natural and rope perches all at the top, and most perches and toys are up top. I'm worried that the bottom of the cage will be useless and empty, and the top is crowded for my bird. The wings of my budgie are clipped though, so that's why I did group them up together. Should I space them out more and let my budgie learn the ways of the wings (flying), or should I just keep it as such?

Here are photos of my new cage.

(My old cage to the bottom right corner)

Here is an instagram post of better quality photos and video.

Kifird [MCAP Super Fan] on Instagram: “New cage for my budgie! Overall this new setup cost 170 dollars for the cage and all the perches and toys. - — - #birb #budgies #parakeet…”

Thanks for all the feedback on how to properly space out the cage. Thanks!

(P.S the cage is on the floor because it's already quite tall, and we don't have a stand/table to properly support the width of the cage. Nua doesn't seem to mind about the height, considering the high point of the current cage doesn't is the same height of the peak of his old cage on the stand)
:yahoo::yahoo:
:budgie2:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
A lot of birds spend most of their time at the top of their cage. It looks great how you have it. :tup: Even if he only used the top half, look how much more room he has! :goodjob:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Looks great! Bet your Budgie is happy. Sometimes they sell stands separately - I'm not sure what kind of cage you got, but Prevue makes stands and you can check which stand is for which cages by the model numbers.

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
A lot of birds spend most of their time at the top of their cage. It looks great how you have it. :tup: Even if he only used the top half, look how much more room he has! :goodjob:
I am worried though, he hops around all over the place instead of flying, and climbs on the bars to reach one place to another. Will he ever use her wings again (Her wings are clipped and was flighted for 10 weeks when I adopted her)

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
I am worried though, he hops around all over the place instead of flying, and climbs on the bars to reach one place to another. Will he ever use her wings again (Her wings are clipped and was flighted for 10 weeks when I adopted her)

Hopping is simply natural for a budgie, mine does it all the time, I don’t think you should be worried if they are not flying in the cage. Since the bird had its wings clipped, he might not know he had the ability. I don’t know much about flight training, but you can have him on your hand and drop your hand in a quick move, therefore the bird will by instinct try to fly. Before you attempt this please double check and make sure your birds wings have all it’s feathers. It may be dangerous if they can’t fly and you do this..

Cage wise, it looks awesome, you have a very happy budgie! The only thing I wouldn’t recommend is the rope perches, if you’re not supervising them, it is a possibility that they get their feet stuck. It can be a very dangerous situation. There are ones that mimick this perch but is not made of rope, I forgot what it’s made out of so I apologize. But the other perches are awesome, nice variety. If you have your bird out of their cage for the majority of the day, don’t worry about too many toys or a lot of flight space. My budgie has a smaller cage just because that’s her sleeping space, not her all day space. Whether they’re out all day or not, I still don’t recommend a tiny tiny cage. I’d personally say at least 16”L x 11” W x 22” H