• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New cage check please

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Thank you! Do you think I should try to replace them today (I bring her home Saturday) —not sure I can, or can I wait a couple of weeks (time to order custom sized ones)? Would the change in rods be upsetting to her early on?
Which of the AA vendors does custom natural branch rods?
I may be able to cut down some parrot safe branches I bought on Etsy (originally to replace curtain rod) but I’m not sure how to attach them. I’ll try carving a notch in the ends. Or I can run to Home Depot tonight —what is the hardware that people use to screw and bolt rods?
Ok now I’m laughing at myself and this run on set of questions! Sorry. One day from picking up baby so I’m all abuzz
Ok I’ve had coffee, brain is on, watched YouTube video, can now answer my own questions lol! Shall be Home Depoing today. Thanks for your patience with me y’all.

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you! Do you think I should try to replace them today (I bring her home Saturday) —not sure I can, or can I wait a couple of weeks (time to order custom sized ones)? Would the change in rods be upsetting to her early on?
Which of the AA vendors does custom natural branch rods?
I may be able to cut down some parrot safe branches I bought on Etsy (originally to replace curtain rod) but I’m not sure how to attach them. I’ll try carving a notch in the ends. Or I can run to Home Depot tonight —what is the hardware that people use to screw and bolt rods?
Ok now I’m laughing at myself and this run on set of questions! Sorry. One day from picking up baby so I’m all abuzz
No worries about the questions, new parront nerves :lol: It's not a particularly urgent matter, it's more that repeated use over time isn't good for them. But for a few weeks it's OK. But if you find a way to change them up then go ahead!

I'm not sure about the difference for unflighted birds, but I don't have one long perch, but rather a bunch of branches/natural wood perches arranged around their cage. Now they have to climb and hop around, which makes them more nimble and agile. When mine had just a dowel rod they were glued to them and didn't try anything else in the cage. In the end they ended up being kinda clumsy when they came out and falling a lot.

If you can find some natural wood perches - great. Most pet shops will have them if you can't wait for delivery.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Super helpful. So I did put in natural wood perches but I thought that they needed to go all the way across. I’ll replace those with smaller ones after I am sure she can get around. In most worried about her getting to her food bowls.
i see you have newspaper at the bottom. Should I add paper? Also, do you think the height is safe (2.2 feet from highest perch to bottom) or do I need to add padding at the bottom. The cage her clutch is in at the bird store is much smaller than this one. Thank you, thank you! image.jpg image.jpg

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I think that's a great start.

You can always add more height later, like with a boing to help move vertically (example in the photos from Khizz) and upper perches and toys as a new destination.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I think that's a great start.

You can always add more height later, like with a boing to help move vertically (example in the photos from Khizz) and upper perches and toys as a new destination.
Ok great. Thank you.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your set up is looking fab!

I can’t wait for you to show us the new baby!

GCC are very easy and kind to new parents, I think we’ll look back and have a giggle at these posts when you’re an old hand!

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Your set up is looking fab!

I can’t wait for you to show us the new baby!

GCC are very easy and kind to new parents, I think we’ll look back and have a giggle at these posts when you’re an old hand!
Lol! Indeed. I’m thinking about documenting this process as The Nervous Nellie (and Nelson)’s Guide to New Parronthood!

LovieLouie

Sprinting down the street
I think your set up looks great!! I am still trying to figure out a good set up adding stuff moving things lol and by the time I get it how I/he likes it I suppose I’ll need to swap stuff out and change around again!! Lol
like Khizz said I don’t think the dowel would be a big deal if used for a short period of time Plus you have other perches in there as well.
But go you!!! I love how you just whipped up your own perches like no big deal lol
Enjoy your first day with your new friend ;)