• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New cage check please

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Hi all:

I’ve set up the cages for my baby green cheek conure who is scheduled to come home next week. Can you please check these photos and let me know what I can do better for my new bird? I was told by the bird store owner not to add toys yet except for the one s/he is used to from the store and one new one attached on the outside side to get used to. I’ve also placed the perched low on purpose because she told me this really scary story about a baby conure that went home abs fell to the bottom of the cage. This cage is 4 feet high (cage itself) so the highest perch is at 2.2 feet from the bottom. Should I still add a covered towel at the bottom just in case? The cage is 3 feet across and two feet wide with .5 inch spacing. The plants on the side are parrot safe based on lists I found in this forum. What am I missing? An did it really true that I should not put in too many toys yet? I have some colorful ones I’ve been collecting but have put aside for now. The upstairs (sleep and out of cage area cage) is smaller and I’ve more or less replicated this set up minus the small tree stand inside. All feedback appreciated. Signed, nervous Nelly of a new mama!
PS the wood baby gate in front is to keep the dogs from getting too close and the black Velcro ties on the cage doors are -just in case, to keep my sons from opening the cage to “see” the baby.

Attachments

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Hi all:

I’ve set up the cages for my baby green cheek conure who is scheduled to come home next week. Can you please check these photos and let me know what I can do better for my new bird? I was told by the bird store owner not to add toys yet except for the one s/he is used to from the store and one new one attached on the outside side to get used to. I’ve also placed the perched low on purpose because she told me this really scary story about a baby conure that went home abs fell to the bottom of the cage. This cage is 4 feet high (cage itself) so the highest perch is at 2.2 feet from the bottom. Should I still add a covered towel at the bottom just in case? The cage is 3 feet across and two feet wide with .5 inch spacing. The plants on the side are parrot safe based on lists I found in this forum. What am I missing? An did it really true that I should not put in too many toys yet? I have some colorful ones I’ve been collecting but have put aside for now. The upstairs (sleep and out of cage area cage) is smaller and I’ve more or less replicated this set up minus the small tree stand inside. All feedback appreciated. Signed, nervous Nelly of a new mama!
PS the wood baby gate in front is to keep the dogs from getting too close and the black Velcro ties on the cage doors are -just in case, to keep my sons from opening the cage to “see” the baby.
Here is the upstairs cage image.jpg

Attachments

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Will Pitchounette be fully weaned and flighted when s/he comes home? If fully flighted, the trip to the bottom of the cage won’t be an issue.
I do not agree with the pet store about only 1 toy. I do not feel that green cheeks get overwhelmed very easily, and certainly not with toys. Most are vivacious, curious little snots who want to see and touch *everything*. If you’re worried, definitely keep stuff low, that is until you see her hanging like a monkey upside down from the top of the cage.:D

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Will Pichounette be fully weaned and flighted when s/he comes home? If fully flighted, the trip to the bottom of the cage won’t be an issue.
I do not agree with the pet store about only 1 toy. I do not feel that green cheeks get overwhelmed very easily, and certainly not with toys. Most are vivacious, curious little snots who want to see and touch *everything*. If you’re worried, definitely keep stuff low, that is until you see her hanging like a monkey upside down from the top of the cage.:D
Great! I’m putting in more toys! She will be fully weaned (dob 2-14-21) but wings clipped. Still ok? Thank you.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
As I rip open toys I got, I realize I really, really wanted to be told the bird store was wrong lol!

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I think you're off to a great start! ...but agree that green cheeks are quite intrepid, and additional toys won't likely cause a fright.

My guidance with cages is to set it as you think it should be, then watch how your new bird interacts with it, and make adjustments as needed.

That's especially important with an unflighted bird since they need to be able to walk and climb everywhere.

One thing that's only revealed once the bird is in the setup is where they like to sit (generally this is also where they like to poop), so if there's not a clear path to the bottom of the cage paper, then remove whatever item is getting unnecessarily soiled below.

Last edited:

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I must add, the other thing to observe very closely is the dynamic with your dogs.

They may frighten a conure, and an unflighted bird that accidentally flops to the ground is easy prey for an over excited dog (even if they "only wanted to play").

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I must add, the other thing to observe very closely is the dynamic with your dogs.

They may frighten a conure, and an unflighted bird that accidentally flops to the ground is easy prey for an over excited dog (even if they "only wanted to play").
Thank you. I appreciate your insights.
We will only have the bird out of the cage is the upstairs no dog room. I will put the dogs outside when I’m transporting the bird from downstairs to upstairs. Is that what you meant?

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
My guidance with cages is to set it as you think it should be, then watch how your new bird interacts with it, and make adjustments as needed.
I second this. My set up hasn’t changed drastically from when Gylfie came home at 8 weeks last month to now. She was hopping from perches and swings like a pro, so just keep an eye on your baby and go from there.

Congrats on them!

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Is that what you meant?
Exactly.

One thing to consider in the downstairs cage, at least until your little one is settled, is a safe place so they can manage their own exposure to the activity in that area.

You could hang a toy and provide a perch/shelf behind it, for them to sit on when they want some privacy/security.

Example from a webinar I watched in the past...
1620779902126.png

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes baby conures are usually fearless to a fault usually LOL. You don't want to overwhelm but I usually add About 4 toys:

An easy to chew toy (balsa, yucca, cork, etc), a harder toy (pine, wood beads, etc), a noisy toy to thrash, and something you can hide treats in. That way it gives you an idea of what kind of toys they might like more of in the future :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If your baby is scared by the dogs, one thing you can do is cover part of the cage with a towel or blanket so he can hide behind it but still be able to peak out. That worked very well for my scaredy birds Hahns!

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I found a recording of the webinar I mentioned above...

(it may offer you some additional ideas)

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
i have found mojo a bit stand offish with a new toy for a bit but once she gets used to them she loves them her favourite are vine balls that she destroys in no time

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Exactly.

One thing to consider in the downstairs cage, at least until your little one is settled, is a safe place so they can manage their own exposure to the activity in that area.

You could hang a toy and provide a perch/shelf behind it, for them to sit on when they want some privacy/security.

Example from a webinar I watched in the past...
View attachment 382450
Great advice and a visual! Perfect. Thank you.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I found a recording of the webinar I mentioned above...

(it may offer you some additional ideas)
Tells husband I have something very important to do, watch the kids! Goes to watch very important video. I want to retire as a bird room interior designer lol!

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Ok version 2.0. I added 4 toys as advised plus a couple more natural perches and a rope hoop and a grapevine wood mini tree stand at the bottom. Is the manzanita branch going across diagonally from bottom to top OK? Also, sine her wings will be clipped, is the highest perch being at 2.2 feet from bottom safe or do I need to put padding at the bottom? If so, is a fleece blanket OK? Thank you. EC3EA48C-00F3-4C27-937E-95F6C5E005BA.jpeg

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
PS I’ve got a round flat perch arriving soon to place in back left corner behind the colorful circle toy to provide a hiding place as suggested.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's looking great! I'd advise getting rid of the long dowel rods though, they aren't good for their feet. Or, as your bird isn't flighted, you could keep them and put vet wrap on them, or use a dremel to make notches and curves - basically you want to alter the shape so he has go move his feet in different positions when walking on it.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
It's looking great! I'd advise getting rid of the long dowel rods though, they aren't good for their feet. Or, as your bird isn't flighted, you could keep them and put vet wrap on them, or use a dremel to make notches and curves - basically you want to alter the shape so he has go move his feet in different positions when walking on it.
Thank you! Do you think I should try to replace them today (I bring her home Saturday) —not sure I can, or can I wait a couple of weeks (time to order custom sized ones)? Would the change in rods be upsetting to her early on?
Which of the AA vendors does custom natural branch rods?
I may be able to cut down some parrot safe branches I bought on Etsy (originally to replace curtain rod) but I’m not sure how to attach them. I’ll try carving a notch in the ends. Or I can run to Home Depot tonight —what is the hardware that people use to screw and bolt rods?
Ok now I’m laughing at myself and this run on set of questions! Sorry. One day from picking up baby so I’m all abuzz