• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New CAG owner

Simourg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fira
Hello!
I really love birds (especially parrots) and I'm from Baku, Azerbaijan. People here know less than nothing about proper care for pet birds and it's really hard to find any pet bird supplies here, too. But parrots mean world to me and I want to do my best for them. Recently I took in a rehomed Congo African Grey. I'm more or less experienced with budgies, but I'm an absolute newbie when it comes to medium and large parrots. However, I really want to give my new friend (not friends yet though) a quality life. I'm looking forward to taming and training him, but I have some questions before starting the whole thing. I guess it would be better if I create a new thread in the training section?

Thank you for building up a great forum with tons of helpful information and kind people! Nice to meet you!:cag:

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Welcome to the Avenue! Congratlations on your newest flock member! What's his name? I am currently enjoying my first bird from the parrot family... I rescued an abused 20 day old cockatiel five months ago. Can't offer much advice... except, above all, be patient! I'm sure some African Grey people will be along shortly or will respond to your post in the training forum!

Simourg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fira
Welcome to the Avenue! Congratlations on your newest flock member! What's his name? I am currently enjoying my first bird from the parrot family... I rescued an abused 20 day old cockatiel five months ago. Can't offer much advice... except, above all, be patient! I'm sure some African Grey people will be along shortly or will respond to your post in the training forum!
Your new baby is so lucky to have you! I'm always so happy to hear about successfully rescued pets and their great new parents.
I am actually a little bit confused with his name. The girl that owned him before had him only for about 1.5-2 months and didn't have much time to interact with him. She told me she named him Gray. But I don't know if he actually knows his name. He is two years old, and I don't know all the story behind it and can only guess. Also, when he arrived at out house, my mom immediately came up with a new name for him - Jojo, which feels to fit him perfectly! But I am still uneasy about this because I feel like it could be wrong to change his name, because it could confuse him, but I would be really happy to call him Jojo if that wouldn't do any harm to him.

I am going to post soon in the training forum!

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. If you wish to change his name go ahead. Just call him Gray JoJo or JoJo Gray. Then over time drop the Gray.

My birds all know and respond to their names. I also have nicknames for them and they respond to those as well. Each of them respond to about 3 different names or versions of their names.

Simourg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fira
Welcome. If you wish to change his name go ahead. Just call him Gray JoJo or JoJo Gray. Then over time drop the Gray.

My birds all know and respond to their names. I also have nicknames for them and they respond to those as well. Each of them respond to about 3 different names or versions of their names.
Thank you for this great advice. Now that I finally got a way to do this I don't have to worry anymore! Actually, my budgie also had nicknames beside her 'official' name, but because she got to our house as a two-months-old chick it developed so naturally that I wouldn't even think to worry about that.

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I also have nicknames for them and they respond to those as well.
I must have five or more names that I call TD. I've never been happy with TD to be honest. I came up with it like the second day I had him/her. It will stand for either Terra Dactyl or Terry Dactyl depending on the gender. It doesn't seem to suit TD's personality, tho'. Besides, George says when I say, "TD Bird" it sounds like I'm saying the slang for a part of the female anatomy :naughty:. He also said that when I say, "Yes, TD" (which I do about 100 times a day) it sounds like... well, I'll let you guys figure that one out for yourselves! :hehe:

Post some pics of Jo-Jo!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello:
:welave:
Congratulations on your new friend and glad you found AA!

Simourg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fira
Thank you, Tiel Feathers! :cag:

I must have five or more names that I call TD. I've never been happy with TD to be honest. I came up with it like the second day I had him/her. It will stand for either Terra Dactyl or Terry Dactyl depending on the gender. It doesn't seem to suit TD's personality, tho'. Besides, George says when I say, "TD Bird" it sounds like I'm saying the slang for a part of the female anatomy :naughty:. He also said that when I say, "Yes, TD" (which I do about 100 times a day) it sounds like... well, I'll let you guys figure that one out for yourselves! :hehe:
[/URL][/IMG]
Post some pics of Jo-Jo!
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Oh no! But still it sounds cute!

Here are some photos of Jo-Jo!
Don't worry, as soon as we master step ups, he's gonna have a lot of fun outside the cage!
Here he is on top of his old small cage before he moved to a new bigger one. He refused to go back inside after that for a day and even passed a night there, it was really hard to get him back!

And here we are chillin' in the new bigger cage.

I am not sure if Jo-Jo is a male or a female. His/her undercoverts have silver edging, and it means 'he' could actually be 'her'!

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
What a beautiful bird.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road