• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New CAG Arrived. 4 m/o Keeps Crying After Feeding

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Hello everyone, my new african grey Astro arrived 2 weeks ago. It is a 4 month old rescue. The previous owner reduced from 3 feedings to 2 on his own, and then when he started refusing his morning feeding, they reduced to once a day. He always had pellets, seeds and fruit available at this time and did eat fruit on its own and still does.

My question is that everytime I feed Astro, he keeps crying/begging for about an hour afterwards. His crop feels full. He can fly very well now and is very affectionate. Is this crying normal behaviour? Should I feed Astro more even though the crop feels full? This behaviour only started 4 days ago and it seems to stop if I leave him with my mum right after I have fed him.

I did take him to the vet, they said everything is fine.

I know that it is stressful for them to move houses so early in life, I was also wondering if I should go back to 2 feedings a day for emotional support?

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Here is some more information: He seems to be very comfortable around the house. Goes in and out of his cage on his own. Plays with foraging toys. Hopped in the shower with me today all the way from his perch and showered in joy, flapping wings and everything.

Just when he grabs my finger in his mouth he sometimes does that head bobbing feeding motion.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
4 months does seem to be the average weaning age, but babies often regress when rehomed.
I'm sure there's many that go longer than 4 months also. That's just a guide line.

I'd see if you're baby will feed a little more. Maybe try and go back to 2 feedings.
Or try a small feeding first, then offer his normal food.

The crying is mainly an emotional response, he needs comfort and food is what supplies it.
He is also away from his first caregiver and missing that.

You can also offer some normal food that is mashed and warmed up a bit by hand.
This often calms a baby that is crying as it imitates being fed by mom.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
4 months does seem to be the average weaning age, but babies often regress when rehomed.
I'm sure there's many that go longer than 4 months also. That's just a guide line.

I'd see if you're baby will feed a little more. Maybe try and go back to 2 feedings.
Or try a small feeding first, then offer his normal food.

The crying is mainly an emotional response, he needs comfort and food is what supplies it.
He is also away from his first caregiver and missing that.

You can also offer some normal food that is mashed and warmed up a bit by hand.
This often calms a baby that is crying as it imitates being fed by mom.
Thanks, I will try both. I guess it reminds him of it when I am around after feeding. He is completely fine and playing if I remove myself from the room immediately after feeding and not come back until after an hour.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
You have received good advice so I will just say congrats and welcome to the Avenue :hug8: