• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Budgies Sleeping all Day Concerns

Fawnia

Meeting neighbors
Hello! Recently there was a bird convention and I decided to get 2 young Budgies. Actually, I for the past few months I was torn between getting a canary or 2 budgies, but once there, I decided budgies. I just cannot resist their beautiful colors~

Anyways, My budgies are strange. I have had them for 1 week now and...

-They LOVE eating, like, the only 2 things I ever do is see them eat and sleep. I am happy they are eating/drinking, especially because they are eating pellets! They love pellets! and spinach haha.

-But that is the problem, all they do is sleep 75% of the day and 25% of the rest they are eating. And they rarely ever make noises. When they make noises, its usually because I am playing budgie noises. It makes them really excited and happy. I just hope they aren't sick.. and I don't want them to get fat.

They have a big cage too, they just don't move much. Their droppings are healthy.

Is this still just settling in do you guys think? I don't want to take them to the vet and get them scared all over again. I just don't think breeders take as good care of budgies as other larger species. It makes me sad.

Anyways, if you guys could help me with my concerns and ask any questions you have.

To summarize here are the main issues:

-Looking a tiny bit fluffed and sleepy all the time
-Rarley making noises
-Eating and sleeping all day
-Closing eyes alot.
-Please look at my photos of their vents. Do they look normal? Sorry for the bad photos, its not that easy to take a photo from under a bird XD

Sorry for the length message. I just really care for my budgies' health 1E97528D-D754-484B-BB66-3F4D9E208A6C.jpeg and want them to live the full 10 year average ><

Attachments

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
They are very young budgies. They are still a little shell-shocked from the changes they've been through.
Budgies will fluff a little for sleep. It is normal for a budgie to take a while settling in. In this case I'd cover 3 sides of the cage, keep them warm and quiet, make sure they are drinking and give them a few more days. Their vents look fine in those images.

Oh! And don't sit staring at them.

Last edited:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@Fawnia They sure are cute little guys! How big is the cage? Is it possible they need a bigger cage for more activity? I think it is probably as Linden says - they are young and still settling in.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Anyways, My budgies are strange.

As compared to what?

I have had them for 1 week now and...

One week is nothing to them. Give them a few months and see how they are acting. Birds have no concept of time.

Basically they are shell shocked because they are in a new place, new cage, new food, new person. That is a lot of new for young birds to deal with. Good thing you got two as they have eachother for comfort. Give them time and be patient. When it comes to any species of bird there are no quick paths to meeting your expectations. What are you doing to enrich their lives other than the music? Are they flying and getting exercise yet?

Fawnia

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for all the advice guys!

I will cover three sides of the cage to make them feel more secure,
and I will see how they act in 1 month ^^.

Fawnia

Meeting neighbors
@Fawnia They sure are cute little guys! How big is the cage? Is it possible they need a bigger cage for more activity? I think it is probably as Linden says - they are young and still settling in.
Here is my current cage setup. It is a decent sized cage. Does it look a bit too crowded? D4B1266D-48A3-430B-8E04-700B6C5FB6EC.jpeg

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Here is my current cage setup. It is a decent sized cage. Does it look a bit too crowded?

Oh goodness no, it's not crowded at all!
Now THIS is a bit too crowded... but I'm working on removing the stuff they don't play with.

Attachments

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
They are super cute and so young! What a lovely cage you have for them. As has been advised give them time to settle in. LOVE how you have got two.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
They are just so new. Trust me, they will start with the chattering soon enough, so enjoy the peace and quiet while you can.

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Just a note on the cage....the bar spacing looks too big. Budgies can easily squeeze and get stuck between the bars, so it's best to have a cage with bar spacing not larger than 1/2 inch.