• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New budgie with too long claws

RedRaven

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Celine
I was gonna cut my budgies nails today and I did (so far on 3 aout of 4) and 2 of those where not in the best of health, one of them had 2 sour, red spots on the bakside of his foot, becaose of his long nails, and the other one had a lot of poo on the fethers aorund the anus, that was Nala, the only girl out of the 4 budgies I got, So, if Im lucky I can get a time by next week (if it isnt urgent they usually drag it out..) but what can I do for them to make them better until we take the trip to the vet?

RedRaven

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Celine
Sorry bout the name of the forum, dont know how that happened acctually, wrote something else in but, but :/

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Natural perches are great for keeping claws trimmed down to the perfect length.

I use Pine and Maple branches in all of my cages, and have never had to trim claws, ever. If you don't have trees that you can use, pet stores always have natural branches for sale, along with sandpaper covered perches to file down claws. However, I would NOT recommend the sandpaper perches for longtime use, as they can be hard on sensitive budgie feet.

RedRaven

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Celine
Where I live we have trees to our knees, I usually have tree branches to keep the claws at bay, I never use sandpaper absolutlly not anymore as I have Blu who has hert his foot :)