• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New budgie! Some questions

tiki07

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Andreea
Hello. I'm sure there are thousands of this type of posts. I think I've read all of them. But I still feel hopeless... or at least, I'm not sure what would be right for me to do.
I got my budgie on 11th of October. He's a male. He's always been distant. For 5 days he refused to eat. He eventually did, but just saying - he's a complicated one. At first, he was ok with me and my family (mostly me and my mom) putting our hands inside his cage and bringing things(like our hands or food) closer to him. It's been 4 months since and how he hates it.
I am currently trying to gently place my hand inside his cage and just leave it there, and sometimes talk. Sometimes I have millet in my hand, it depends. He's mostly scared. Doesn't fly desperately in his cage, but I just can tell he's not comfortable with that.
Now I am trying to read to him from a book every night, just in case he doesn't feel comfortable around me or my voice.
He's in the room me and my family spend most of the time in, next to a window, he has lots of toys (that he hates with a passion) and all of that. He's really well-cared. I tried feeding him fruits and even boiled some vegetables from him. No response from the little dude.
He usually stands on my tv and if I play the 'blinking game' with him, he lets me get closer and even bring my finger closer to him. But he never perches on it though.
Now I play budgie sounds for him on my computer and he sits on it and sometimes tries to sit on my legs but he's way too scared.
I really wanna bond with my budgie. I know it takes time. But I'm not sure if I am doing everything right.
Some advice would really help!
5c338e9e-cf5d-4056-9129-7e86528295df.jpg
This is Tiki. He was standing on the edge of my computer, while listening to budgies. He seems content here!

Last edited:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
He looks like a she to me. When was the last time she saw an avian vet? Looks like there's something going on with the beak that could be making the cere pale (parasite?). I suspect Scaly Face but I'm no vet.

Last edited:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I should have said it's easily treated so it's nothing to panic about. Should really see an avian vet though before the beak takes too much more damage.

Last edited:

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Tiki is beautiful :loveshower: Welcome to AA both of you!
I also think you have a little girl- I’m no expert of course but there are light circles around the nostrils which usually means hen (and Ripshod thinks female and he is more of an expert;))
There’s a few reasons she may be regressing a bit with socialization. Is she molting? Both my budgies are less friendly when they are going through a molt. It does sound like you’re doing a great job with Tiki though! Giving lots of attention but knowing when to back off per their cues is key. Besides hand feeding treats etc have you tried playing toys with Tiki? When I was first getting to know my birds I would always hold up a toy and “ play” with it myself right in front of them. Jo could never resist coming over to play too! Bells are great for this since all you have to do is lightly tap them and it really gets their attention. Even if he/she doesn’t come over to play right away I think this helps them see you as a playmate and somebody that could be fun to hangout with.
Keep reading to Tiki, that’s an excellent way to get your bird used to your presence and voice.

Again... welcome to AA, we’re glad to have you both!

:grpwelcome:

Chela1976

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Isela Aviles
Hello. I'm sure there are thousands of this type of posts. I think I've read all of them. But I still feel hopeless... or at least, I'm not sure what would be right for me to do.
I got my budgie on 11th of October. He's a male. He's always been distant. For 5 days he refused to eat. He eventually did, but just saying - he's a complicated one. At first, he was ok with me and my family (mostly me and my mom) putting our hands inside his cage and bringing things(like our hands or food) closer to him. It's been 4 months since and how he hates it.
I am currently trying to gently place my hand inside his cage and just leave it there, and sometimes talk. Sometimes I have millet in my hand, it depends. He's mostly scared. Doesn't fly desperately in his cage, but I just can tell he's not comfortable with that.
Now I am trying to read to him from a book every night, just in case he doesn't feel comfortable around me or my voice.
He's in the room me and my family spend most of the time in, next to a window, he has lots of toys (that he hates with a passion) and all of that. He's really well-cared. I tried feeding him fruits and even boiled some vegetables from him. No response from the little dude.
He usually stands on my tv and if I play the 'blinking game' with him, he lets me get closer and even bring my finger closer to him. But he never perches on it though.
Now I play budgie sounds for him on my computer and he sits on it and sometimes tries to sit on my legs but he's way too scared.
I really wanna bond with my budgie. I know it takes time. But I'm not sure if I am doing everything right.
Some advice would really help!
View attachment 327874
This is Tiki. He was standing on the edge of my computer, while listening to budgies. He seems content here!
He is adorable we have 2, both male they were the same we can touch them fly around the house but now they dont wants to touch them they been with us for 4 years noe.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Yes, SHE is sweet. I too would get her a vet check. Nice pick up @Ripshod , that beak should not be looking like that until she goes into breeding mode which she is clearly not in yet. Could be nothing but I would have it checked. Scaly face can be treated! Also I see she is sitting on your computer. So she is getting close to you she just doesn't like hands. How does she get back into her cage? Does she go herself? Sometimes a ladder rather than a hand is preferred. She is only 4 months, give her time..lol. You say she hates her toys? Does she ignore them or does she tell them off? Hens LOVE to tell off their toys.

tiki07

Real Name
Andreea
Hello! Thank you everyone for the advice! I geniunely thought it was a 'him'.
At first I believed it was a girl then the beak got bluer and bluer. But I'm no vet...
:budgie2:

tiki07

Real Name
Andreea
Yes, SHE is sweet. I too would get her a vet check. Nice pick up @Ripshod , that beak should not be looking like that until she goes into breeding mode which she is clearly not in yet. Could be nothing but I would have it checked. Scaly face can be treated! Also I see she is sitting on your computer. So she is getting close to you she just doesn't like hands. How does she get back into her cage? Does she go herself? Sometimes a ladder rather than a hand is preferred. She is only 4 months, give her time..lol. You say she hates her toys? Does she ignore them or does she tell them off? Hens LOVE to tell off their toys.
At first, she hated them! She hates the little swing she has at the top of her cage. I have a ladder with some balls on it for her to play... never touched it. We got her a lil ''parrot'' toy thing-y. A mini parrot basically for her to not feel alone... she's always pushing it down. Also a mirror that she pushes loudly with her beak.
4c963046-46f4-4014-9629-33e63bad9618.jpg
I know the cage is a bit messy right now but she's a messy eater. The water has some vitamins in it...this is her cage!

tiki07

Real Name
Andreea
He looks like a she to me. When was the last time she saw an avian vet? Looks like there's something going on with the beak that could be making the cere pale (parasite?). I suspect Scaly Face but I'm no vet.
a7a62d62-a8ad-41b8-bce7-3b51b551bb6f.jpg
We're working on the beak problem. I feel like it's looking slightly better!

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Just a few suggestions, the cage is small but it's not too bad if she spends alot of her time out of it. Get her some natural wood perches. Those plastic ones are bad for their feet. Also some nice rope perches attached outside the door of her cage along with some more toys. Does she have any playgyms outside of her cage? Foraging toys are always good as are any with bells on them. Below is Sam's cage and believe it or not this is only a fraction of the toys she has. She has playgyms throughout the house and she uses them all...lol. IMG_20200212_075836.jpg

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Welcome @tiki07 - Your little girl is gorgeous. I do hope there is nothing wrong with her beak as Ripshod Linden said.
She does need a bigger cage, yep. They warm up so slowly as their usual personality is to be scared to death of predators, and they don't know the difference at first. Just be patient, and your little gal will soon be trusting I hope! :welave:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Don;t stick your hand in the cage. Open the door & present the millet to them...Keep it as far away as they will nibble & slowly decreas the distance until its on your hand & they step up to eat it...Go slow & don;t invade there space...Soon they will want to come to you for the millet...Then you only let them out on your hand with the millet...They learn hand. millet out...It can be done...I did it with a parent raised...

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thats an adult female///Beak looks a bit overgrown...Might have some problem with mites or something,,,Vet visit...

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
shes a female and has scaly face mites as for taming thats prolly why shes not taming easy females are harder to tame

dovemom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haley
Now, I know that a lot of people are going to scold me for this but this is what worked best with my new budgie.
My first budgie I didn't really interact with for the first week or so, I just wanted her to settle in. Once I started trying to bond with her, she was terrified of me and never came close to me. She DID bond with my finches, whom she was with from day one. Even though she didn't like me much, I loved her. When she died,(that's a whole other story, but it wasn't a natural death) I immediately got another budgie. But I took this budgie out of her box within the first five minutes I had her. As you can imagine, she was terrified. But I did not let her 'settle in' for a week. I was taking her out on the first day. I wanted her to be used to being with me, and let that be a part of her settling in. She got a tour of the house, met all the people, etc. Within a single week, that budgie would fly to me and groom me. I took her trick or treating on Halloween two weeks after I got her. This was Kiwi. I've had her since October and we have a very strong bond. When I got my second Budgie a few weeks ago, I did the same thing with him. And guess what? He too is bonding with me. He doesn't fly to me yet, but he DOES eat from my hand and steps up.
The moral of this is, you can't move terribly slow. You need to start bonding with your budgie right away. I know that a LOT of people say to do the exact opposite and that this makes them more afraid, but my bond with my budgies is incredibly strong. Try handling your budgie multiple times each day, and budgies love singing, so maybe try to whistle/hum a song softly. my budgies love watching TV (especially cartoons) so try that as well.
Don't leave food in the cage all the time either. There is a reason my budgie doesn't fly very well (yes my vet confirmed that she is fat, not sick or pregnant) Instead, put food in the cage three times a day for about an hour each time. Sometimes, miss a feeding and at the next feeding, offer food in your hand. The stomach controls the mind. The method I'm describing is actually used in falconry to train hawks, and I've been using it with my dove as well. This will show your bird where the food comes from, and that you won't hurt it. Feeding is one of the most vulnerable times for them, so once they start eating and see that you aren't attacking them while they are vulnerable, they start to trust you.
Good luck with your sweetheart!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Now, I know that a lot of people are going to scold me for this but this is what worked best with my new budgie.
My first budgie I didn't really interact with for the first week or so, I just wanted her to settle in. Once I started trying to bond with her, she was terrified of me and never came close to me. She DID bond with my finches, whom she was with from day one. Even though she didn't like me much, I loved her. When she died,(that's a whole other story, but it wasn't a natural death) I immediately got another budgie. But I took this budgie out of her box within the first five minutes I had her. As you can imagine, she was terrified. But I did not let her 'settle in' for a week. I was taking her out on the first day. I wanted her to be used to being with me, and let that be a part of her settling in. She got a tour of the house, met all the people, etc. Within a single week, that budgie would fly to me and groom me. I took her trick or treating on Halloween two weeks after I got her. This was Kiwi. I've had her since October and we have a very strong bond. When I got my second Budgie a few weeks ago, I did the same thing with him. And guess what? He too is bonding with me. He doesn't fly to me yet, but he DOES eat from my hand and steps up.
The moral of this is, you can't move terribly slow. You need to start bonding with your budgie right away. I know that a LOT of people say to do the exact opposite and that this makes them more afraid, but my bond with my budgies is incredibly strong. Try handling your budgie multiple times each day, and budgies love singing, so maybe try to whistle/hum a song softly. my budgies love watching TV (especially cartoons) so try that as well.
Don't leave food in the cage all the time either. There is a reason my budgie doesn't fly very well (yes my vet confirmed that she is fat, not sick or pregnant) Instead, put food in the cage three times a day for about an hour each time. Sometimes, miss a feeding and at the next feeding, offer food in your hand. The stomach controls the mind. The method I'm describing is actually used in falconry to train hawks, and I've been using it with my dove as well. This will show your bird where the food comes from, and that you won't hurt it. Feeding is one of the most vulnerable times for them, so once they start eating and see that you aren't attacking them while they are vulnerable, they start to trust you.
Good luck with your sweetheart!
Yes, that method can work. On thus occasion for you it did. You were lucky. Manhandling can scare a bird stiff and can destroy a relationship from the get go.
I'm not slamming you, just sharing my own knowledge I've gained through working with more than 100 budgies.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Don't leave food in the cage all the time either. There is a reason my budgie doesn't fly very well (yes my vet confirmed that she is fat, not sick or pregnant) Instead, put food in the cage three times a day for about an hour each time. Sometimes, miss a feeding and at the next feeding, offer food in your hand. The stomach controls the mind. The method I'm describing is actually used in falconry to train hawks, and I've been using it with my dove as well.
This sounds very close to food deprivation. Unfortunately I believe that the only thing this will accomplish is teaching your budgie to overeat when food becomes available. Budgies metabolisms run very, very, fast and they can suffer malnutrition is a very short amount of time. A budgie that has a wide variety of nutritious food and has plenty of out of cage time for flying will not overeat. You are not teaching your budgie where food comes from, you are teaching him to become submissive or go hungry.