• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New budgie question

july

Moving in
I have a male budgie and want to get a female for mating purposes. However my male budgie is 3,5 years old and I am wondering whether it is too late for him to get used to another bird at this point. Question to budgie owners, thanks

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome!

@Zara has a list of resources (stuff, money, people) needed to breed responsibly & without heartache.

What mutations does your male have?

july

Moving in
I think it is a green, yellow based, clearwing buddy it is hard to tell. I'm not an expert

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It'd be good to know his genetics before contemplating breeding. One of my budgies, Winston, is a retired breeder bird (I'm not a breeder; I bought him when the aviary closed). Visually, he looks clear winged. He's actually a single factor dominant pied (with 1 dark factor + 1 grey factor). So while he * looks * clear winged, he didn't pass this down to his offspring when he was at the aviary. Maybe there's a budgie/ bird club that could help you with getting started.

july

Moving in
What do you think about my buddy being a loner for 3,5 years? Do you think another bird would cause him stress? Or make him happier

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I personally think he might like a buddy to be just friends with. If you don't know his background, it seems like a lot to try to breed. You'd need a plan for the babies and apparently budgie clutches can be large. How about posting a picture of him? We love pics & could help confirm his gender. I can do basic ones; others on here can do them all! This way you can go in search of a budgie buddy knowing what would be best to maximize the chances they would become friends.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
What do you think about my buddy being a loner for 3,5 years? Do you think another bird would cause him stress? Or make him happier
Follow your gut. Does he get any close interaction with you or any other member of your household? Does he play? Is he noisy? If it's not three 'yes' answers then yes I feel he would benefit from a buddy. If he's male his buddy can be male so no worries about breeding. Preferably a fully mature bird - can you have a look at local rescues?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Zara has a list of resources (stuff, money, people) needed to breed responsibly & without heartache.
A list of gear is just stuff. It doesn´t mean much if knowledge is lacking.

I think a friend for your budgie is a nice idea. There´s good advice above in all the posts :)
Ps, lots of folks have two boys

july

Moving in
Hello again, thanks everyone for the replies.

I just bought a big cage for my budgie appropriate enough for two budgies (still haven't got a friend for him yet) but my budgie is acting very weird since then. He is not getting near his toys or sticks, he isn't even eating. Basically he is staying at the top of his cage not moving anywhere around. He has been like this for hours and I don't know what to do. I have a feeling that he is getting used to it but he is avoiding eating which is the primary concern at the moment. I can move him back to his old cage but I don't think it is large enough for two buddies, he has to get used to his new cage. What can he be afraid of?

here two pictures of him

first photo he is in his previous cage which wasn't big enough for two so i bought a big one today but he doesn't move anywhere except near the top

oliandsun

Meeting neighbors
When I got my two budgies a bigger cage, I ”let them “find it” and choose it at their new home themselves. I simply left the doors of the new cage open all the time and put them near it while they were in their old cage. I put new toys in there and some of their branches and old toys. Along with some millet at the front door to entice them.

I then opened the door of their old cage (that they were currently still in) every day and let them have the option to explore it if they wanted. Oliver went into it day one and decided it was his new home and started hanging out in there, and eating and drinking. Sunshine on the other hand was more cautious and it took her about a week or two to be willing to go near it. Oliver spent a lot of time coaxing her over, because he wanted her to see it. It was the cutest thing. But I decided to wait until both my birds chose the new cage instead of their old - on their own terms. I also waited until I could see they had found the food and water bowls in the new cage, so I knew they were eating and drinking. And of course waited until they were very comfortable within it. The first few days they’d pop into it for a few minutes and then sunshine would leave quickly as she wasn’t sure about it. I waited until she spent a majority of her time (and Oliver too) in the new cage, and until they were favoring that one instead of the old one. Then, after all that I took away the old cage and they were happy and enjoying their new one. And they don’t seem to miss the old one at all.

I would recommend doing something similar if you’d like. Yes, it will take more time then just plopping them in the new cage, but it’s more exciting and less stressful for them if they can explore it on their own time and leave if they get nervous. I believe it’s better on them too as they are “picking” their new home. Good luck :)