• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New budgie poop

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
So a couple of days ago I got a new budgie (have had budgies before, but mainly have teils now) and everything seemed fine and am hoping to move it into a bigger cage tonight, but as I was singing to the bird, I noticed a foul smell and saw something weird in its water bowl, it looked as if it had pooped in the bowl, and the water had gone cloudly and bubbly, so I tipped it out and changed the water. I checked the rest of it’s droppings and they appear to be normal. Help appreciated (also any help on identifying its gender would be great)
Also. Was wondering if I could put the budgie (still a baby I think) in with two other cockatiels?

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You will need a front on pic (in good lighting) of your bird for anyone to help you with the gender.
As for the poop in the water- that is something that often happens with my budgie so I change the water frequently during the day.
I am not sure why the water would have gone cloudy and bubbly unless the poop was in there for a long time?
Hopefully some other members may be able to shed some light on the bubbly poop water. @Lady Jane @Ripshod @Mizzely

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Poop in water starts to smell pretty quickly. I wouldn't base much on that. You'll want to change water as least once a day because it does grow bacteria so quickly.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Your new budgie is gorgeous. Do you have more photos? We LOVE photos! ;)
No, I surely wouldn't house them together, but I have seen them have flytime out of the cages successfully, with supervision, of course. Love that color on him/her! Congratulations!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
What a gorgeous little boy! Definitely looks like he could use an upgrade in perches! Maybe the new cage already has all that, though?

And yeah... poopy water tends to smell...

As for caging budgies and cockatiels together.... it is possible if the cage is large enough, but I wouldn't recommend it in anything smaller than a 32x21 flight cage, honestly. Also, even if the budgie is the lone guy out, he's more likely to pester and bother the cockatiels rather than the other way around.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Looks like a boy to me but need a better face pic to confirm. If his water is in a dish it should be changed at least 3 times a day cos gravity will drop allsorts into it and it needs to be fresh or he won't want to drink from it.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
You say you've had him for 2 days, any new bird should be quarantined away from any other bird for 4 to 6 weeks and have a vet check...

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Your baby looks like a male to me, I'd need a better fact picture to confirm but I'm like 95% sure its a little boy! As for the poop, poop in water stinks REAL BAD really fast! I've learned putting the water dish above most of the perches really helps from accidental pooping it in.

I would not house him with a pair of cockatiels. There is a few reasons for this, number one is beak size and over all size. A cockatiel could really hurt him. Plus the fact there are multiple he would likely get picked on. I've seen people mix cockatiels and budges successfully but that generally is in very large aviary style set ups.

I would upgrade his cage size and get him some natural wood perches. He may be able to spend out of cage time with the cockatiels just keep an eye on them.