• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Budgie Kicking Seeds Out

MPCacatúa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Molly Perko
Hello, I have a baby male budgie that I brought home just yesterday. He is in his own cage on the far opposite side of the room from my 3 budgies in a large cage. He only stays on the side nearest the other cage. Also, he gets in his bowl and throws/ kicks the seeds out with his feet. I have filled it with pellets and a high quality seed mix. I also have a millet spray near the food bowl in case the other food is not liked. What should I do? He seems anxious. He has a variety of toys for foraging, chewing, and shredding available. Is he just settling in? None of my other budgies have behaved this way.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

I’d be more concerned about no quarantine for him than him kicking seeds out tbh.

He may be looking for a particular seed or just enjoy kicking the seeds about. My budgie has kicked seed about for these reasons and he seems to particularly enjoy kicking seed out of the fish if I really fill the dish.

I’m guessing you’ve offered him a different seed mix to the one he was being fed before?

MPCacatúa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Molly Perko
Ideally, I would like him to be in a completely separate room but that is not an option for us due to having dogs and a cat also in the home. The room is large and they are in separate corners so I am trying my best. The seed mix looks very similar to what he was eating previously and I added in a small amount of pellets to for him to try and get used to also. Thank you for the reply!

MPCacatúa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Molly Perko
Also- I took out the grate at the bottom so he can get to the seeds that he has kicked out. I was worried that if he kept kicking it all out, he would not have food.

MPCacatúa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Molly Perko
Scratch that! I was able to move him into the corner of a guest room. He is in there by himself. Hopefully I didn't do much harm having him in the same room for a day