• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New budgie isn’t eating

Garye5007

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gary Esak
Hi, New bird owner here. I picked up a young hand raised bird yesterday and I haven’t seen him eat anything... i have plenty of the same food out that he was eating at a the breeders (pellets and white millet) per her instructions.I even tried enticing him with spray millet. I’m nervous because I’ve read that they can literally starve themselves.. how long can they not eat? I realize he’s scared. Any advice would be appreciated!

Shilpa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shilpa
Don't worry, he's just scared and getting used to the new environment. When I got my budgie Mickey, he didn't eat anything for the whole day. I even called the pet store but they said to watch him for 24 hours. But then, in the morning I noticed a few empty hulls in his seed bowl and another in his water dish. He'll take a while to get used to you so it's normal for him to just sit there and do nothing. Watch him for 24 hours and if there's no sign of eating or drinking, then I'd start worrying.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you tried leaving him alone with his food & water for an hour or two? It might help not to have people around as he gets used to his new environment. A watched pot never boils.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
As the above replies he will be eating. He's in a new place with a new hooman so he'll already be feeling a little vulnerable and eating will make him feel more so. It's likely he's just not letting you see him eat.
Keep a distance from the cage for a while, don't sit watching him and let him relax into his new home.
We haven't seen him yet, any photos?

BirdView

Strolling the yard
A handsome budgie indeed. Is it a male or a female?