• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Budgie Concerns

stardew

Moving in
Hey everyone. My husband and I just adopted two new budgies as first time bird owners. We did lots of research (I actually read quite a few posts from this website during my research) and felt like we had prepared ourselves the best that we could. We bought both budgies from PetSmart two days ago and I believe they're no more than 3/4 months old as they still have stripes all the way up to their ceres. As to be expected, both budgies were very startled and nervous when we first brought them home. We left them alone other than peeking in the room on occasion to check on them and tried to give them space to get used to their new cage before we tried to interact with them. I feel like our blue budgie is settling in pretty well, he's used a variety of different perches in their cage and he even ate in front of us this morning which made me think he's starting to feel safe.

As for our green/yellow budgie, we're a little worried about him. He was panting when we saw him at PetSmart and I've read that budgies pant when they're either hot or scared and I'd imagine he's pretty terrified. It's been a couple days and he still pants/breathes quickly if we get too close to the cage, but if we just peek in from the opposite side of the room, he doesn't appear to be panting/breathing heavy. We've also noticed that aside from one perch in the corner that he seems to have taken a liking too and the perch on their food dish, he's been clinging himself to the top of the cage by his beak. Is he still just very nervous and frightened and we just need to give him time to adjust or do you think there may be something wrong with him? Thank you in advance!

(disclaimer: I keep saying "he/him" because we tried our best to get two boys, but it's so hard to tell by their ceres this young, so they may not actually be boys lol)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Does sound like an extremely scared budgie. Are they caged together?
Time will calm him some, it's only been a couple of days, we usually like to give a few weeks before we start worrying it's that common.
As long as he eats and drinks and gradually calms down he should be fine.
Post photos of their faces for us. Between us we'll be able to answer the gender question for you.

stardew

Moving in
Does sound like an extremely scared budgie. Are they caged together?
Time will calm him some, it's only been a couple of days, we usually like to give a few weeks before we start worrying it's that common.
As long as he eats and drinks and gradually calms down he should be fine.
Post photos of their faces for us. Between us we'll be able to answer the gender question for you.
I don't have that great of photos just yet since we're trying not to overwhelm them as they get to know us, but I've been able to snag a few :) Let me know what you think!

IMG_4387.jpg IMG_4377.jpg IMG_4373.jpg

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
When I first brought my Tweetie home, he would cling to the side of the cage near the top with his beak whenever he was scared and he was scared a lot! It took him quite a long time to climb down when he was scared. Don't leave them alone. Start interacting with them by talking and/or singing to them for a few minutes several times a day. Once your green budgie gets used to the sounds in the house, he'll calm down. Whenever you are with them, move slowly especially when you change their food, water and clean the cage. Whenever I give my two budgies a new toy, I hang it on the outside of the cage for 3-4 days until they get used to seeing it and then move it into their cage. You should provide them with toys even if you don't see them playing with them. Start putting your hand on the bars outside of the cage while talking to them. If the green one flies, keep your hand there while talking. He should settle down. Hold your hand there for about 5 minutes. Once they get used to that, start putting your hand inside the cage, resting it on a perch. Once they get used to that, start moving your finger closer to them. Offer them a bit of millet to get them to come closer to your hand. The goal is to get them to stand on your hand while eating the millet. I you post pictures, people here can confirm their gender.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Painting could point to a respiratory infection do you have a video? Edit: also does anyone else think the yellow/ green one might be a girl? The cere looks awfully white..

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
3rd photo is a boy. 2nd photo is a bit obscured but a little clearer in the 1st does look female.

:congrats3:

Edit
You may want to move that feeder onto the cage door. Less intrusion so less stress.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've found that reading to budgies helps them get to know you & feel at ease. They observe you, you read your book out loud & ignore them.

Millet is also irresistible to them. Even if they won't come for it yet, make a show of putting it in their dish so there's no doubt in their mind about where millet comes from (you). :)

I think the blue one is male. Not sure about the green one.

stardew

Moving in
3rd photo is a boy. 2nd photo is a bit obscured but a little clearer in the 1st does look female.

:congrats3:

Edit
You may want to move that feeder onto the cage door. Less intrusion so less stress.
Here's a little better photo of our yellow/green budgie. The lighting in the room is kinda yellowish, but on my phone/in person it looks kinda light purple? I'll have to see if I can get a better picture this afternoon.
IMG_4389.jpg

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
If it was female the cere would be a pale blue and she'd be developing white rings around her nares. Looks so different in the different photos.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Here's a little better photo of our yellow/green budgie. The lighting in the room is kinda yellowish, but on my phone/in person it looks kinda light purple? I'll have to see if I can get a better picture this afternoon.
View attachment 384382
Yes this photo is much easier to see the cere, looks like a male now