• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New brown headed baby - 1st day home

Navibird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Hi everyone,

Today we picked up our female brown headed parrot, Luna. She is 11 weeks old on Sunday and I have a few questions. The breeder says she is fully weaned, but I'm a little cautious of that. She is very quiet and won't take any type of food from me. We've placed her in her cage, and she's just sitting on her perch, quietly watching while I sit on my computer with Netflix on in the background.

How can I make sure she's eating? She was sent home with a big bag of seed mix, which I'm to believe isn't meant to be fed as their primary diet. I've tried a few different nuts and seeds, some apple - all of no interest. We purchased different sprouting mixes, and we plan to feed her as much fresh food as we can get her to eat. But how do we start getting her interested in fresh foods? I don't think the breeder offered much other than formula and seed.

She's pooped a few times since being home, and most seem pretty loose and watery. The breeder says she fed her a little formula today and that's why. I was told to offer her some of the seed mix, which I've tried to do to no avail.

How should we proceed with her? This is our first time with a baby that's so shy. My husband and I have both grown up around birds, and most hand raised, hand tame babies we've interacted with are eager to go to new people. This little gal is very fearful and made some kind of hissing noise at us when we initially tried to remove her from her carrier. She also doesn't seem to know or want to step up, so something that we'll of course work with her on. I just want to ensure we proceed properly with her as I don't want to damage our potential bond. How do you proceed with such a timid baby? I sit beside her cage and speak softly to her, sing to her, ask her how she's doing. We're keeping hands off for now as I don't want to scare her. The breeder told us to "just grab her and cuddle her"... but I don't feel this would be an appropriate way to react.

Appreciate all your help! Thank you :)

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
This is all new to her, her world has been turned upside down. For now speak to her, let her get used to your voice, sit by her cage and read to her, let her set the routine for now and then when you are both comfortable with each other, then start your routine, slowly. It's going to take time, patience, patience, patience you will be fine. Don't hesitate to ask questions, that's what we are here for. Luna is a very sweet name.

Last edited:

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Congrats on your new baby! I think you are right to not take the breeder’s advice and just “grab and cuddle” her! I hate hearing that they still tell people to do things like that. The best thing to do is what you are currently doing. Sit next to her, read to her, sing to her etc Let it be her choice when she wants to interact. She just came to a new strange place, so it may take a little time but she will trust you more in the long run if you let her choose when!
As for diet, she may just be a bit shy to eat in front of you on the 1st day. I think you guys will be ok- you already have good instincts knowing not to take that bad advice ;)
Hopefully a member with more diet transition advice will come along with tips... I just wanted to congratulate and welcome you! :welave:

Navibird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
@greys4u Okay I'm glad to know that I'm doing the right thing in sitting near her and speaking softly. I'm more than happy to go at her pace :)

@JoJo&Loki Thank you so much, we're very excited! I agree that the breeders advice isn't great. Right off the bat I told myself I wasn't going to do that LOL We're going to keep just sitting with her and speaking softly to her. I'm sure in time she will come around. I'm so used to GCCs that crave peoples attention, even as babies! haha This is our first poi, but from what we've read, brown heads are very sweet birds :)

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
You know.. i followed that advice with two wild pionusses.. just sit and talk to them, and let them set the pace.. it really works! In 2 months time one pionus went from aking the breeders fingers bleed, to stepping up and sittig on my familymembers’s shoulders :)

it was wise of you not to grab and cuddle :) you will do well, and you will become great friends with your new feathered companion :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Take your time with her. She's a baby and has now been relocated to an unfamiliar place. You may want to get some hand feeding formula and offer that to her just as comfort food. Did the breeder only wean her onto seed mix or what other foods did the breeder wean her onto? Check with the breeder and find out if she was offered anything other than seed mix and formula and offer some of those familiar foods. If you want to try pellets, soak them in warm water so they soften a bit and offer those. My Pois were weaned onto pellets, apples, pears, and mixed veggies as well as seed mix. Don't overwhelm her with too many different kinds of food. Try to keep things as similar as possible to what she was getting and just add a few additional items to start with.

Don't force her to come out of the cage or step up. Patience is very important right now. You can sit near her and talk to her calmly and quietly. Pois can sometimes be a bit shy and some of them even go through a phobic stage where they are afraid of everyone and everything. Not saying this is what is going on, though. Just give her time to get used to her new family and her new surroundings. Let her guide you when it comes to interacting with her.

Take some photos when you think she will be OK with you doing that. No flash, though. That could scare her.

Navibird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
@Lincee I was honestly so shocked when she grabbed the poor thing, tossed it on its back and then swore she "loved it"... some people I tell you. Poor thing look terrified to me. My best guess is the breeder manhandled her and she now has a slight fear of hands. She's come A LONG way today though and even allowed me to give her a few scritches while she closed her eyes. Progress! :)

@iamwhoiam the breeder only weaned her onto seeds unfortunately. I've tried giving cooked quinoa, brown rice, carrot, and apple, and so far all she likes is apples. I will keep things more simple for right now and maybe work with 1 thing at a time. I did try a bit of hard boiled egg as the breeder said she liked that, and she did eat some of it. How much egg is ok to give a parrot though?

I haven't been forcing her out at all, just letting her come out if she wants to. Everything at her pace. I sit next to her and talk to her, or sing along with the radio. She's come out a few times and happily sat on my finger while I scritched her, and just under my chin all snuggled up for a little bit. Little bits of progress have definitely been made. She's even made a few adorable little tiny beebs, but otherwise very quiet. Will definitely try to get some photos of her soon so I can show her off. She really is quite stunning. Her green is this beautiful shimmery emerald in the light. I know a lot of people thing brown heads are plain, but she couldn't be further from plain <3

Appreciate everyones helpful tips and advice! It seems like we're doing the right thing. I may try to offer some formula, as she seems to beg for food. Or at least I believe she's begging for food. She opens her mouth wide and kinda opens and closes her beak at me with a little squeek sound. Looks like baby bird begging to me, but could be wrong!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Navibird Sounds as if things are going well. She is coming out, stepping up and letting you scratch her a bit. Great!
The only one of my birds who likes eggs would be Spee the sparrow and he only gets egg whites every now and then. Can't tell you how often to feed egg yolks since I don't feed that. You may want to get Lafeber Avicakes and try those. They are a combination of seeds and pellets. I give them as treats, not daily. In fact you can contact Lafeber, let them know what type of bird you have and see if they will send you samples. They are generally very good about that although with Covid-19 have no idea if they will still do that.

She sounds very pretty and look forward to seeing photos. It is possible she is begging for food. You could get some hand feeding formula or, as I stated in the previous post, soften some pellets in warm water and see if she will eat those. Just a bit of comfort food.

Navibird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
@iamwhoiam yes absolutely, little bits of progress :) I'm very happy with how she's coming along and just taking things at her pace. I will contact Lefeber and see about getting some samples, and in the meantime I'll try softening some pellets with warm water. Maybe that will comfort her a bit. Thank you so much for your advice! :)

Matt0071

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matt
It's all about trust and forming a bond with your new one
I just got my 2 1/2 year old female b&g Macaw about 3 months ago and when I first brought her home the same issue with a carrier as it was a 4 hour drive to pick her up
So getting her out of the carrier once arrived home was alittle tricky but she finally came out
Obv were new to them and there fearful of us no matter if they were hand fed or not your a new person to them
It's been 3 months now since I brought home daisy and we have came along way from day one forming a bond and trust
I can now rub her beak without issues
Head scratches hmmmm sometimes but still hasn't trust me to do so yet but she wont bite me but she flings her head back telling me she doesnt want her head scratched
As far as stepping up the best place I found for my b&g macaw is try louring your bird on the table with some food or favorite treat or something as they will pretty much step up for anyone especially on a floor and work on building a bond from there
It takes time and I am still working with her but I spend alot of time with her too
Goodluck and enjoy your new friend :)

Navibird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
@Matt0071 thank you so much for sharing your experience and tips. I definitely see what you're saying - we're totally new and foreign to her and she's frightened. It makes perfect sense. We've made lots of progress already in the 2 days we've had her. She will come out onto my hand willingly most times, enjoys having her beak scratched on her terms, and has even let me scritch her head some. Fantastic progress to us.
Good luck with your blue and gold! Sounds like she is settling in nicely with you and you've made tons of progress on your own! :)

Matt0071

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matt
Also daisy my macaw loves bannahs for fresh fruit
And she loves zupreem fruity pellets :)
Shes not to keen on fresh veggies lol but she will skim through them and eat fresh veggies her and there
That's where the pellets come into play for good nutrients:)

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Poicephalus can be stubborn too so you have to have outstubborn them :lol: The only pellet my Jardine's will eat is Zupreem Fruity but he's 20 years old and was only fed seeds his first 19 years before coming to me!

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's very cute!
All of my red-bellies eat pellets. Their favorites right now are Caitec Oven Fresh Bites. My Senegal likes Lafeber Senior Nutriberries. They are a picky when it comes to other foods...forget about bird breads and mashes. They will not touch those. They like mixed veggies (frozen kind that I microwave and let cool a bit), apples, Avian Organics baked treats, and Lafeber popcorn and Avicakes. They seemed to have had more interest in a wider variety of fruits and veggies when they were babies. Now they will generally just eat the mixed veggies and apples and toss anything else to the side. There is currently a sidewalk sale going on here so check out the vendors that are participating and see if there are any goodies you might want to try with her: SWS - 2020 Avian Avenue Spring Sidewalk Sale
My birds love the Avian Organics Chia Kale Chips and the Mango Ginger Minis (Things for Wings). There are lots of other Avian Organics products that yours might be willing to try.

Navibird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
@Mizzely I've heard they are a stubborn species, that's okay though because I'm pretty dang stubborn myself! LOL I feel I can definitely outstubborn her haha

@iamwhoiam thank you, we agree! Her green is so pretty. Can't wait to see her mature. Thanks for the suggestions, I will give some of those a try with her! I purchased a soak and simmer that has different types of beans, lentils, etc and she seems to like that! I added quinoa, brown rice, and carrot to it and she seems to be eating it :) And thanks for the tip about the sidewalk sale! I will definitely check that out :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Mizzely I've heard they are a stubborn species, that's okay though because I'm pretty dang stubborn myself! LOL I feel I can definitely outstubborn her haha

@iamwhoiam thank you, we agree! Her green is so pretty. Can't wait to see her mature. Thanks for the suggestions, I will give some of those a try with her! I purchased a soak and simmer that has different types of beans, lentils, etc and she seems to like that! I added quinoa, brown rice, and carrot to it and she seems to be eating it :) And thanks for the tip about the sidewalk sale! I will definitely check that out :)
SWS ended yesterday but maybe if you contact a vendor you are interested in they might still offer you a discount. Sometimes vendors will extend the end date. It sounds as if she is continuing to do well. Wish my birds would eat soak and simmer or other types of mashes. One of my Amazons will sometimes try that and I did discover that my BE2 likes quinoa as long as the only things mixed into that are mixed vegetables. My Pois will just stare at the mash for a bit and then walk away. It's sort of funny.

Matt0071

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matt
Think all macaws are stubborn haha

Matt0071

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matt
Have u got bitten yet in the process of handling her??