• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Birdy Tree

TheBirds

Sprinting down the street
Yes it felt weird and inappropriate buying a tabletop Christmas tree stand in May o_O BUT, combined with a 5' branch we sourced on a recent bike ride (since sanitized), now we have the best natural play gym ever for a grand total of $20!

I'd originally planned to screw into the bottom of the branch and attach it permanently to a rolling platform type thing I found at Dollarama, but I like this so much more because the branch can easily be swapped-out for a new one when the first is inevitably chewed to bits :laugh: It tucks right into the corner of our room and actually looks quite nice as a standalone decorative element.

(This is the one I purchased - Cinco Plastics Good Tidings CNCC163 Cinco Tabletop Christmas Tree Stand: Amazon.ca: Home & Kitchen (not my listing))

TheBirds

Sprinting down the street
At the moment, Coco loves chewing all the bark off .. it's lovely seeing him edge his way up and down the branches with a purpose! Lyric is a more avid chewer than Coco, so once quarantine is done and his flight feathers grow back in, he'll have access to it too. Hope I haven't oversold it, but here it is:

IMG_6298.jpg

The base is all draped in newspaper to catch all the .. well, you're bird people. You know. The diameter of the existing branch is about 1.5" at the bottom where the base screws into it, so you could easily go with a thicker branch for a bigger bird (we just don't have the space in that little corner for anything bigger). I'm always keeping my eyes peeled for something with more branching though, as I think they'll get bored of this particular model rather quickly :laugh:

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
Oooh the Christmas tree stand is such a clever idea! I love seeing people's ingenious bird enrichment

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks, all! I can already tell I'm going to become a branch hoarder :roflmao:
As soon as I found out just how many of the trees in my neighborhood were safe for birds, I decided that I would ask people for their maple branches whenever they trimmed their trees :lol:

My neighborhood is full of maples which have their ups and downs. The birds can have the branches, but I'm allergic to the pollen and it has a SUPER LONG blooming season in Connecticut. (It started in March and it's still going on to this day :shifty:)

Last edited: