• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures New Birdy Mom

L.k

Moving in
Hi Everyone, Recently just got a cockatiel from a pet shop. they couldn't tell me much about her(I think female) not sure of her age but I'm thinking young maybe a year or 2. She is not used to humans or hands or being touched or rubbed but is warming to her new home nicely. I'm starting to see her cheeky personality. I've been putting my hand in her cage just by the door away from her while talking to her gently and calmly and she doesn't mind it, is this the right thing to get her used to my hand and seeing it as non threatening? Or should I be doing something more?Just said I'd ask some pros as I've never had any pet birds before. I've attached a pic.. I'm obsessed

Attachments

L.k

Moving in
Hi All, Just found this amazing site. I have a new cockatiel called Noka and I've never had any pet birds before. Unfortunately the pet shop couldn't tell me anything about her at least I think she's a female and from looking thongs up I think she's a pearl pied something? I'm looking forward to getting some advice.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

Duplicate threads merged together.

Reactions: L.k

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:welcometrain: :congrats5::awww:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welcome2:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. She's a cutie. Can you post a pic of her whole body? And we can maybe help with what mutation she is, etc. Do you have specific questions? Does she come out of the cage?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:hello: :welave:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Welcome! :welcomeavenue: Cute bird!! Sorry, I don't know cockatiel mutations that well (yet). Congrats on getting your very first birdie!! :D

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
Sounds like you’re training her right. Just move slowly and take your time.

You can quickly build trust with a cockatiel, and you’ll be able to notice it. She’ll be on your hand in no time.

I don’t know where you live or what kind of pet store you got her at, but generally, cockatiels are pretty young in pet stores, because they’re such prolific breeders. Your guy looks VERY young, and although I’m no expert, I think even younger than a year. Like maybe 9 months!

By the way, s/he is GORGEOUS, and just looking at how she posed for the photos, looks cool, excited, happy, and ready to go!

Last edited:

L.k

Moving in
@Ira Hi Thanks so much for the Reply and info.
Today was a different day, my little Noka didn't like me very much today so I have her in my hallway in her big cage so she can see me passing and saying hello and not be too smothered by me so she can adjust to her new home. I spend an hour in the morning and an hour at night sitting on a stool by her cage talking/singing to her and giving her spray millet (it's her favourite). I thought we had bonded but today and yesterday she has been very off with me, instead of coming to the cage to say hello and chirp cheerfully she was squaking at me and pecking the cage as in I really upset her some how and even pecked me a couple of times. I just stayed calm and just sat there reassuring her I'm not the bad guy while not getting too close so she still had space.. maybe she was having an off day? I just don't want to go backwards with bonding... am I doing the right thing? Or maybe something wrong?

Last edited:

L.k

Moving in
Welcome. She's a cutie. Can you post a pic of her whole body? And we can maybe help with what mutation she is, etc. Do you have specific questions? Does she come out of the cage?
Hey Thanks I will post a pic tomorrow. She doesn't come out of the cage she has never been handled and is a bit sassy so not too keen on human hands. I'm taking things slow with her and trying to build trust but I suppose I'm just looking for tips as I don't know anyone else who has tiels

Any tips would be great. A hand rared bird might have been easier but I have great patience and I know we will be besties in no time.

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
@Ira Hi Thanks so much for the Reply and info.
Today was a different day, my little Noka didn't like me very much today so I have her in my hallway in her big cage so she can see me passing and saying hello and not be too smothered by me so she can adjust to her new home. I spend an hour in the morning and an hour at night sitting on a stool by her cage talking/singing to her and giving her spray millet (it's her favourite). I thought we had bonded but today and yesterday she has been very off with me, instead of coming to the cage to say hello and chirp cheerfully she was squaking at me and pecking the cage as in I really upset her some how and even pecked me a couple of times. I just stayed calm and just sat there reassuring her I'm not the bad guy while not getting too close so she still had space.. maybe she was having an off day? I just don't want to go backwards with bonding... am I doing the right thing? Or maybe something wrong?
You can never go backwards with bonding when you’re doing the right things to bond.

It’s okay if he gets pissed off now and then. Don’t we all?

The main thing is to ALWAYS bend to your bird’s will, unless there’s serious biting involved. They’re not trained fleas to perform on command.

My Yellow Naped Amazon is a blessing, and I ain’t the religious type. But he doesn’t ALWAYS want to step up on my hand, and I have to respect that.

If he indicates no, I don’t pursue it and I APOLOGIZE to him for trying!

Just take your time. Never push the bird.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cockatiels like to be around people. Can you move her cage into the living room or somewhere she can be with people more often? If she's pecking at her cage, I think she wants out. What is her cage like? Does she have toys?

L.k

Moving in
Cockatiels like to be around people. Can you move her cage into the living room or somewhere she can be with people more often? If she's pecking at her cage, I think she wants out. What is her cage like? Does she have toys?
Hey No shes not pecking at her cage Ive opened the cage lots of times but she won't come out if I try to help her out she doesn't want to shes very comfortable in there. I have a large cage for her its the exact same cage my neighbour had for her African grey so it's big enough for her. She has lots of toys and I rotate them every week or 2 so she doesn't get board of them. She's with us all day, her cage has wheels so in the evening I wheel her in with us shes not alone and is quite happy I think I just want to improve our bonding so I can eventually have her on my hand etc. She's not unhappy at all tho

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Hey No shes not pecking at her cage Ive opened the cage lots of times but she won't come out if I try to help her out she doesn't want to shes very comfortable in there. I have a large cage for her its the exact same cage my neighbour had for her African grey so it's big enough for her. She has lots of toys and I rotate them every week or 2 so she doesn't get board of them. She's with us all day, her cage has wheels so in the evening I wheel her in with us shes not alone and is quite happy I think I just want to improve our bonding so I can eventually have her on my hand etc. She's not unhappy at all tho
What is the bar spacing for her cage? It's great that it's a big cage, just make sure the bar spacing is safe for her. It shouldn't be more than 5/8 of an inch. I wouldn't try to make her come out by putting your hands in, etc. I always let my birds come out on their own but you can encourage her to come out by putting a cage just outside the cage door and handing something she likes by it like some millet or a favorite toy. :)