• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

NEW- Birdie Mommy To-Be -HELP

Which Bird should I choose as My First Bird?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LLaDySmokeEmz

Moving in
Real Name
Serenity
Hi Y'all! SUPER excited to be apart of this website!! I am about to be a New Bird-Mommy to-be! I NEED ADVICE!!!
I have a very well-sized cage : maybe about 2.5ft H x 1.5ft W x 2ftL (est.)
I have two perches somewhat lower to the cage- not at the bottom
One perch dish for water (I plan on using an acrylic feeder - If I can get it from WISH quick enough) I also have 3 extra dishes if needed.
One Cuttlebone close to the water
(At the moment) One shiny bell toy (WAITING for my shred toy to come in from wish)
and a Plastic Millet Holder close to one of the perches on the opposite side of the water

I feel like I'm prepared I only need : 1. Cage cover (Goodwill) 2. Bird Pellets (I've decided to feed my bird pellets)

I really want a single bird to bond with. My husband is home majority of the day while I'm at work for 9 Hrs, anyway. I have two very tamed and decently obedient doggies (Chihuahua & Pitbull) - They've already been exposed to the cage for a couple weeks now.
--------------------------------------------

MY QUESTION:
At first, I wanted a Budige :budgie9:- figured out how to tame it and everything (with use of millet) ... But the cage is so big, I feel like maybe a SLIGHTLY bigger bird might do better -so it wouldn't be overwhelmed.

Then I looked into Cockatiels:tiel2:- My husband enjoys this bird to begin with (I was scared at first) ... But in the end with all research, I decided this bird might be wonderful after all! Although, maybe a bit pricey? And not very easy to come by here.

Lastly, The beautiful Lovebird :lbpied2:- Easier to obtain, decently priced, I understand males are slightly more sociable- and I understand they're intelligent and ... cuddly? (This bird was less researched than the others.)

At some point I wanted a Conure :fischers: - Also cuddly. Smart. I'm PRETTY sure I can get this locally. I know I've seen at least 2 times before.

WHICH BIRD DO YOU SUGGEST? &&& ANY TIPS ON SELECTING A BIRD?

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Welcome

No cage is too big for any bird, the bigger the better (bar spacing is important though if it's too big birds can get their heads stuck.

Dowels (those smooth wooden perches that come with a cage) hurt birdies feet as they can cause pressure sores aka bumble foot.

Glad to hear your feeding pellets that's very good to hear, if the birds aren't on pellets when you get one deffinetly check out the feathered food court for converting tips. Budgies, cockatiels need to have some seeds in their diet and lovies too. Veggies are a must for everyone and a little fruit as a treat.

As for the birds I can only really comment on budgies and conures

Budgies aren't loud but are noisy throughout the day, they can be a little nervous and will fly around in the cage (sturs up dust) and may cause extra attention from your dogs. Realtivly cheaper maintence in regards to toys and food (as they eat less and tend to be less destructive).

Mine enjoy balsa, Chinese finger traps, straws, cupcake papers, beads, sea grass mats, anything shreddable really.

Conures (GCC) usually silent but can make ear piercing screams, can leave nasty bites, not really dusty, can be more expensive (mine go through toys very quickly and do get bored if they aren't changed at least weekly), have a personality of larger bids ( by that I mean mine exhibit temper tantrums etc).

Mine enjoy balsa, pine, cut up toilet tubes, straws, shreddable toys, vine toys and anything to do with foraging.

Lovebirds and cockatiels I don't have personal experience though they enjoy similar toys to budgies and conures.

If your getting a bird from a pet store or breeder an avian vet check would be recommended.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I wouldn't recommend a budgie. I love them dearly, but they're very delicate and sensitive birds. They instinctively hide any signs that they're sick, often until its too late. It can also be a little harder to earn a budgie's trust. If you can find a reputable breeder and won't be upset if it takes a long time for your budgie to see you as anything but a threat, they're fun little birds.
They're also very prone to health issues due to bad breeding.
Big cages are also very good for them, as long as the bar spacing is correct! They're very active birds and need a lot of space.

I'm absolutely in love with lovebirds (all puns intended). In my experience with my boys and girls, both sexes are cuddly, depending on the bird and the amount of time and care you dedicate to them. Both of my girls came to me very well socialized. If I let them, they'll cuddle into my shirt and happily nap over my heart. My boys didn't come to me nearly as tame, but I haven't been bitten half as hard by them as I have my girls.
They bite really hard, always get into some sort of mess and can be very stubborn, but they're a whole lot of fun. They're also very messy with their food, very protective of their cages, destructive, and are quite loud when they want to be.
A few of them have picked up on some words. Yen says 'birdie!', Guzma says 'No' and 'Mimikyu', and has taught my other two boys to say Mimikyu as well.

My tiel's my grouchy sweetheart. She's a wonderful bird, no complaints about her at all. I've been bitten by her as well, but it's nowhere near as painful as a budgie or lovebird. She's adorable, soft, and really isn't a morning birbson, unlike the others.

What you gotta keep in mind, though, is that every bird is an individual. There are friendly and non-friendly individuals out there. The best thing you can do is look around and see which bird best suits you. There are rescues and shelters out there that will let you come meet their birds and give you some hands-on experience.

Some people fall in love with the expression they see in their birds' eyes, some people go meet their birds and let them chose you. I think one of the last things you should keep in mind is a bird's color. It should be the least important thing in purchasing any animal, imho. There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a bird of a certain color, but you need to look at the bird's health, personality, and whether it's a good fit for you and your family first.

LLaDySmokeEmz

Moving in
Real Name
Serenity
Welcome

No cage is too big for any bird, the bigger the better (bar spacing is important though if it's too big birds can get their heads stuck.

Dowels (those smooth wooden perches that come with a cage) hurt birdies feet as they can cause pressure sores aka bumble foot.

Glad to hear your feeding pellets that's very good to hear, if the birds aren't on pellets when you get one deffinetly check out the feathered food court for converting tips. Budgies, cockatiels need to have some seeds in their diet and lovies too. Veggies are a must for everyone and a little fruit as a treat.

As for the birds I can only really comment on budgies and conures

Budgies aren't loud but are noisy throughout the day, they can be a little nervous and will fly around in the cage (sturs up dust) and may cause extra attention from your dogs. Realtivly cheaper maintence in regards to toys and food (as they eat less and tend to be less destructive).

Mine enjoy balsa, Chinese finger traps, straws, cupcake papers, beads, sea grass mats, anything shreddable really.

Conures (GCC) usually silent but can make ear piercing screams, can leave nasty bites, not really dusty, can be more expensive (mine go through toys very quickly and do get bored if they aren't changed at least weekly), have a personality of larger bids ( by that I mean mine exhibit temper tantrums etc).

Mine enjoy balsa, pine, cut up toilet tubes, straws, shreddable toys, vine toys and anything to do with foraging.

Lovebirds and cockatiels I don't have personal experience though they enjoy similar toys to budgies and conures.

If your getting a bird from a pet store or breeder an avian vet check would be recommended.
Thank you so much!! I had no idea, that smooth dowels could do that! How terrible. I wanted to do it, now with your input I'm DEFINITELY going to invest in those realistic branches. with different thickness and texture!

I wouldn't recommend a budgie. I love them dearly, but they're very delicate and sensitive birds. They instinctively hide any signs that they're sick, often until its too late. It can also be a little harder to earn a budgie's trust. If you can find a reputable breeder and won't be upset if it takes a long time for your budgie to see you as anything but a threat, they're fun little birds.
They're also very prone to health issues due to bad breeding.
Big cages are also very good for them, as long as the bar spacing is correct! They're very active birds and need a lot of space.

I'm absolutely in love with lovebirds (all puns intended). In my experience with my boys and girls, both sexes are cuddly, depending on the bird and the amount of time and care you dedicate to them. Both of my girls came to me very well socialized. If I let them, they'll cuddle into my shirt and happily nap over my heart. My boys didn't come to me nearly as tame, but I haven't been bitten half as hard by them as I have my girls.
They bite really hard, always get into some sort of mess and can be very stubborn, but they're a whole lot of fun. They're also very messy with their food, very protective of their cages, destructive, and are quite loud when they want to be.
A few of them have picked up on some words. Yen says 'birdie!', Guzma says 'No' and 'Mimikyu', and has taught my other two boys to say Mimikyu as well.

My tiel's my grouchy sweetheart. She's a wonderful bird, no complaints about her at all. I've been bitten by her as well, but it's nowhere near as painful as a budgie or lovebird. She's adorable, soft, and really isn't a morning birbson, unlike the others.

What you gotta keep in mind, though, is that every bird is an individual. There are friendly and non-friendly individuals out there. The best thing you can do is look around and see which bird best suits you. There are rescues and shelters out there that will let you come meet their birds and give you some hands-on experience.

Some people fall in love with the expression they see in their birds' eyes, some people go meet their birds and let them chose you. I think one of the last things you should keep in mind is a bird's color. It should be the least important thing in purchasing any animal, imho. There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a bird of a certain color, but you need to look at the bird's health, personality, and whether it's a good fit for you and your family first.
I see your point. Your words have really touched my soul. My heart will really be into it when I decide to go and choose my bird.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I only have conures, so I can only comment on them. Pyrrhura conures, at least mine, are NOT cuddly. They bite and they bite hard. Cuddly is not something usually associated with birds, as cuddling can lead to hormonal problems. And personally, I think your cage is too small for a conure.

LLaDySmokeEmz

Moving in
Real Name
Serenity
I only have conures, so I can only comment on them. Pyrrhura conures, at least mine, are NOT cuddly. They bite and they bite hard. Cuddly is not something usually associated with birds, as cuddling can lead to hormonal problems. And personally, I think your cage is too small for a conure.
Alrighty. I can respect that. I understand Conures have longer tail feathers and can become frayed if rubbed against the bars too often. I WAS concerned that the cage although tall, isn't very wide. Thank you.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I wasn't kidding about them loving to destroy things :p I gave Triss her own piece of paper, but she wanted to chew on the whole book instead. And the sounds of chewing drew her friend in. My other girl loves chewing through rawhide and leather.

Attachments

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
You can always upsize your cage and use your current one as a nice sleep cage if you go for a longer tailed bird. ;)

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I wasn't kidding about them loving to destroy things :p I gave Triss her own piece of paper, but she wanted to chew on the whole book instead. And the sounds of chewing drew her friend in. My other girl loves chewing through rawhide and leather.
I swear every time I see lovebirds tearing paper it is always in such tidy little strips! Luv Bug loves tearing paper to ant, but she just rips off a chunk and stuffs it in her feathers. :rolleyes:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I swear every time I see lovebirds tearing paper it is always in such tidy little strips! Luv Bug loves tearing paper to ant, but she just rips off a chunk and stuffs it in her feathers. :rolleyes:
Luv Bug's just got too many other important things to do, ya know? She's obviously got her priorities straight.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Luv Bug's just got too many other important things to do, ya know? She's obviously got her priorities straight.
:coffeescreen:

:cantsee:Bug's things to do today (in no particular order):
1) attack hair ties
2) dump water, food and toy bowls (ant contents if applicable)
3) ride humans from room to room
4) steal food
5) destroy toys and anything near toys in process
6) preen / demand scratches

Come to think of it, she's an awful lot like our green cheek Pistachio was! :laugh-bounce:

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine

1) attack hair ties
4) steal food

Come to think of it, she's an awful lot like our green cheek Pistachio was! :laugh-bounce:
Such a busy bird!!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. If you've never spent time with any of these types of birds, that would be the best place to start. Each have different personalities, etc. Noise is another factor. Some conures are very loud. Some people find the noise lovebirds make irritating. Budgies are very chatty, etc. So although we can say, this bird is great, etc it really comes down to personal preference. And not all birds needs exactly the same diet. For instance, cockatiels are graniovores, so I believe they need seed in their diet in addition to pellets. My lovie loved fruit. Cockatels aren't known to eat fruit, etc. So the type of bird you get will also make a difference on some of the things you're planning for.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
My lovie loved fruit. Cockatels aren't known to eat fruit, etc. So the type of bird you get will also make a difference on some of the things you're planning for.
Mims enjoys certain fruits and vegetables. After hanging out with the lovies so much,s he picked up on the fact that they eat things like oranges, salad and broccoli and tried it herself. She'll also eat the dried fruits and vegetables that come in her pellet mix and pasta mixes.
Before I had the lovebirds, she wouldn't touch fruit or vegetables, but she had fun chewing on leafy greens every now and then. For some reason, she was very partial to pear leaves off of our tree.
Won't touch pears, though.:shrug:

LLaDySmokeEmz

Moving in
Real Name
Serenity
Please read this informative article for new or to be parrot people

Flock Call - It's their choice
THAT made me decide even more about going to adopt. I'm gonna google, when I get home, local Aviary adoption places. I've always been the type of person, that the animal will choose me, it was always like that with my past babies.

1) attack hair ties
4) steal food

That's one HECK of a personality!!! Haha I hope I'm as lucky! :cloud9:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I'm sure you'll find a bird with a huge personality of your own. Even my shyer lovebirds have their own unique big bird personalities. They're little balls of trouble wrapped up in the cutest widdle package. They're also way smarter than you'd think they are. There are a lot of people out there who teach their birds tricks. Two of mine know to use the toilet and one of mine will shoot hoops.

If you go for them, I hope you're aware that lovebirds are addicting and fun. You'll want ALL the different species. Personata, fisher, peachface, black cheek, lilian, black winged.... :p I'm currently waiting on someone to sell me their precious little personata boy myself. Despite already having five of the little buggers, including a personata of my own.

Oh, and if you do go for them, be very careful with them around your dogs. I try to keep them separate, but if my girls see my pit mix, they go on the offensive. It's like something out of a Hitchcock movie.

Last edited:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
There are several places in Texas to find homeless birds. If you are on FB you may find some also.
We used Craigslist (beware of scammers! So many scammers it'll break your heart, and it's sad to see how many birds are being rehomed on CL), RescueMe.Org, Petfinder (a lot of chickens and ducks on here??), and AdoptaPet.com, but we ended up adopting all 4 of our current birds from Craigslist. There's also a list of Texas shelters on RescueMe, but a lot of them don't pull up. I think it's been a while since that list has been updated. I know of one rescue south of Dallas called Wings of Love / Bird Haven.

Oh, and I know some Petcos will take in surrendered animals, quarantine them and then sell them at half of the regular retail price. Maybe not ideal, but I like that it gives folks a safe place to surrender a pet that some shelters might not take. It might be an option if you don't find a match the other ways.