• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

NEW- Birdie Mommy To-Be -HELP

Which Bird should I choose as My First Bird?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Welcome to the site! I would go with a tiel, they are bright, fun, and very hardy little birds. I am not sure why you are finding them hard to come by since they are a pretty common pet. And I agree, get a single bird so it will bond with you.

But whatever bird you choose, I know it will be happy. You sound like a very conscientious person.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Welcome to the site! I would go with a tiel, they are bright, fun, and very hardy little birds. I am not sure why you are finding them hard to come by since they are a pretty common pet. And I agree, get a single bird so it will bond with you.

But whatever bird you choose, I know it will be happy. You sound like a very conscientious person.
I spent a lot of today with my 2 female cockatiels on my shoulders, even when I put them back in their room they hopped on a gain for snuggles and scritches. Can’t go wrong with a cockatiel! Girls are cuddly, boys are .... cuddly too lol.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
:cantsee:Bug's things to do today (in no particular order):
1) attack hair ties
2) dump water, food and toy bowls (ant contents if applicable)
3) ride humans from room to room
4) steal food
5) destroy toys and anything near toys in process
6) preen / demand scratches
I would just like to add a number
7) throwing my seed and pellets Olympic distances without even breaking a sweat!

LLaDySmokeEmz

Moving in
Real Name
Serenity

:heart2: Thank You!!!
I would just like to add a number
7) throwing my seed and pellets Olympic distances without even breaking a sweat!
:laughing6:

LLaDySmokeEmz

Moving in
Real Name
Serenity
I'm sure you'll find a bird with a huge personality of your own. Even my shyer lovebirds have their own unique big bird personalities. They're little balls of trouble wrapped up in the cutest widdle package. They're also way smarter than you'd think they are. There are a lot of people out there who teach their birds tricks. Two of mine know to use the toilet and one of mine will shoot hoops.

If you go for them, I hope you're aware that lovebirds are addicting and fun. You'll want ALL the different species. Personata, fisher, peachface, black cheek, lilian, black winged.... :p I'm currently waiting on someone to sell me their precious little personata boy myself. Despite already having five of the little buggers, including a personata of my own.

Oh, and if you do go for them, be very careful with them around your dogs. I try to keep them separate, but if my girls see my pit mix, they go on the offensive. It's like something out of a Hitchcock movie.
Hahaha Right now, in my Love Race, the Cockatiel and Lovebird are neck and neck!!
We used Craigslist (beware of scammers! So many scammers it'll break your heart, and it's sad to see how many birds are being rehomed on CL), RescueMe.Org, Petfinder (a lot of chickens and ducks on here??), and AdoptaPet.com, but we ended up adopting all 4 of our current birds from Craigslist. There's also a list of Texas shelters on RescueMe, but a lot of them don't pull up. I think it's been a while since that list has been updated. I know of one rescue south of Dallas called Wings of Love / Bird Haven.

Oh, and I know some Petcos will take in surrendered animals, quarantine them and then sell them at half of the regular retail price. Maybe not ideal, but I like that it gives folks a safe place to surrender a pet that some shelters might not take. It might be an option if you don't find a match the other ways.
I WAS SO NERVOUS TO USE CG!! lol a family member suggested that to me too, buuuutt LOL .... I found I think it was AdoptaPet.com - But right there weren't almost ANY birds on that thing! I'll check RescueMe.Org (Always wanted a duck. When the time is right, now I'll know where to go! LOL)

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I've gotten all but one of my birds on Kijiji, which is similar to CL. You do have to be careful there, there are a lot of scammers and abusive/neglectful owners there, but there are also very good people. Yen came from a former police officer, and he cares about her so much that he still checks up on her despite going through a lot health-wise.

The latest scam I've seen is "blacklight tiels", which are cockatiel that look cool under a black light... like all tiels do.

It's also sometimes difficult to tell Fischers and Personatas apart, and people will often try to pass hybrid lovebirds off as things like "Khaki" or as non-hybrids of their harder to obtain parent. If you want a hybrid, get it, but be aware that certain types of hybrids are infertile and are often a little confused. Yen's a peachface/Fischer hybrid, and she sometimes gets very frustrated that she can't figure out how to carry her shredded papers. Fischer/Personata hybrids don't have the same issue, but can come with different problems.

CarlB

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Carl
My first birds were parakeets. Easy to tame if not handled and they become very attached. Each of mine talked, but it takes lots of time. They continue to be my favorite although I no longer have one.
My second favorite for a first bird is a hand fed cockatiel. They are easily tamed if not hand fed and also become very attached to you. Great family birds too and they can also talk.
Both are great options.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Once you get your new bird, be careful. Many mention walking about with their birds on their shoulders, but your dogs may make that dangerous for you to do.

Be aware as good as your dogs may be, their prey drive may very well show itself with a small fluttery bird. Even sweet dogs can have prey drive show itself.

Keep your dogs out of any room your bird may be loose in. Even when your bird is caged the dogs should not be left home alone with it.

Many cages have been knocked over and broken in to by an excited dog.

Good luck and we all want to see photos when you find your bird.

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
Serinity welcome.gif THE .
I HOPE YOU ENJOY THE AVENUE!! WE'RE A BUNCH OF ANIMALS HERE!! HOPE YOU FIT RIGHT IN!!

Reactions: Jas

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!