• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Bird

gabe_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gabriel
Hi there, I am currently in high school (Junior) and I go to school leaving home from 6:30 AM and get back around 2:30 PM. I have three little budgies that I've had for about three months and I make sure to replace their paper, food, and water before I leave. For Christmas, I was planning to get either one lovebird or one cockatiel around a month old, so that they're weaned but still very young. I plan to get them from a good breeder that has raised them well, and get them as tame as possible with me. My concern is that the HOA allows a maximum of four birds, so getting two of any other bird isn't possible. I plan to spend my afternoons with the bird as much as possible, especially because the budgies aren't super keen on playing with me since they've bonded with each other and I wanted a friendly companion to walk around the house with and do homework with and definitely give lots of tickles! My concern is that the bird may feel lonely if I am not there the whole day, but I wanted to know if my budgies could maybe keep them company from a different area of the house? I'd have the cages in a place that they could see each other and communicate. Also, my grandpa is always at home, and my dad spends some days home and some days at work so they could maybe interact, but I don't want to take the bird out until I get home (unless I see the bird needs more interaction). Do you think this could work out? Could the budgies keep the lovebird/tiel company until I get home? I would, of course, spend as much time as possible when I get home with it and give it toys to play. Thanks for the help!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Do you have the resources to take on the responsibility of more birds? Vet care is very expensive and birds should have an annual wellness check. After you graduate you may leave home for more schooling. How do the birds fit in your life then?

It's great that you love birds but please think ahead.

gabe_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gabriel
I do know that once I graduate, I would take the tiel or lovebird with me, but the three budgies are staying with my family and my brother is stepping up to care for them. I'm already showing him how to clean our their food and water as well as the cage. The vet visits would have to be at different times throughout the year because yes, I know they are expensive. I am hoping to do an internship this coming spring and I plan to use some of that income to pay for the birds' vet visits. The tiel/lovebird would go off with me to college and I know it's a big commitment every day. I hope to finish my schooling in a university that's two hours away from where I live currently, so if something comes up i'll have my family close.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Hi there, I am currently in high school (Junior) and I go to school leaving home from 6:30 AM and get back around 2:30 PM. I have three little budgies that I've had for about three months and I make sure to replace their paper, food, and water before I leave. For Christmas, I was planning to get either one lovebird or one cockatiel around a month old, so that they're weaned but still very young. I plan to get them from a good breeder that has raised them well, and get them as tame as possible with me. My concern is that the HOA allows a maximum of four birds, so getting two of any other bird isn't possible. I plan to spend my afternoons with the bird as much as possible, especially because the budgies aren't super keen on playing with me since they've bonded with each other and I wanted a friendly companion to walk around the house with and do homework with and definitely give lots of tickles! My concern is that the bird may feel lonely if I am not there the whole day, but I wanted to know if my budgies could maybe keep them company from a different area of the house? I'd have the cages in a place that they could see each other and communicate. Also, my grandpa is always at home, and my dad spends some days home and some days at work so they could maybe interact, but I don't want to take the bird out until I get home (unless I see the bird needs more interaction). Do you think this could work out? Could the budgies keep the lovebird/tiel company until I get home? I would, of course, spend as much time as possible when I get home with it and give it toys to play. Thanks for the help!
I don't know about lovies, but cockatiels don't wean until 8 weeks at the earliest. I personally don't think they should be sold until 10 weeks. So a month would need handfeeding. The budgies would be company I think for either bird.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
No nonstick Teflon pans, no perfumes, air fresheners, commercial cleaning solutions, candles, smoke and many others. No chocolate alcohol or avocados.

gabe_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gabriel
Ok thanks for the tip. I think the good thing about the guy I am buying from is that he has a 4 week old white face for sale, and I won’t get it until another month from now so it should start weaning soon after (although judging from the pictures he sent me it looks a little older than 4 weeks). I don’t know about lovebirds too much but I have had experience with a cockatiel before that one of my neighbors had, and it was very sweet, so I think I will have to go with the tiel. (Also i hear lovebirds are a little more aggressive naturally). Thanks for your opinions, I think the budgies would be good little companions to interact with while I’m away (from a separate cage to avoid fights while I am not home.)

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It should be fine either way. It sounds like you’ve thought it out. You’re correct that lovies are more aggressive than cockatiels, but the male lovies can be awesome snugglers. :) (Girls can snuggle, but it’s not as common, and they’re often really feisty.) Twinkie, the one in my signature, loves to dive into my shirt and sleep on my chest in the morning and evening. He will groom me, nibble me, cuddle up to my cheek to fluff, etc.

gabe_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gabriel
Twinkie is really cute!! I would definitely get a lovebird in the future, but for now I think the cockatiel is gonna be a great addition to the family. Maybe once I get my degree i’ll get one :)