• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird quarantine

Lily’s mom

Meeting neighbors
I’m getting a new bird this Sunday out a not so great place. I am going to keep the new guy in a different room than Lily.
However, when I called an avian vet and asked wether I should bring them one at a time (Lily needs a yearly checkup and the new guy need a checkup) or together they said I can bring them together. I asked what about quarantine? The assistant went away for a minute (I assumed asking the doctor) and said that I should wrap one of them in a towel. I mean, I can’t cover the whole carrier - they need to breathe! Does this make sense to you guys or should I call again and specifically ask for the doctor?
Fiy I need to drive 2 hours each way to the avian vet :/

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
That is quite the pickle. If you´re up for it, could you make two trips? The new bird first.

Technically, you´re not doing a true quarantine as there will be air flow between your birds at home, even though there´s no physical contact. And when you put the birds in the car together, there will be air flow between them, just like in the house but closer.

Sorry, I´m not sure what to do.
@JLcribber what do you think?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
As soon as you bring that bird into your home there is effectively no quarantine. As soon as they enter the same airspace it's over because the only true dangers are mostly airborne.

Every time you went from one bird to the other you would need to completely change clothes and wash thoroughly to start and thats only in a true quarantine.

The assistant went away for a minute (I assumed asking the doctor) and said that I should wrap one of them in a towel.
What kind of hair brained advice is that? If this bird came from a one bird household then it's not likely to have anything drastically contagious because its lived alone. Personally they'd both being going to the vet.

It's always a risk. You have to weigh the situation and make your own decision.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
If you´re up for it, could you make two trips? The new bird first.
Hubby and I kind of did this when we got our 2nd goffin. He brought the new girl (Puffin) in his car & I brought Scott and Luv Bug in mine and we sat on opposite sides of the waiting room and they even saw us in separate rooms but still only charged us for one visit.

If you made two trips, I'd take your original bird first though, in case the new bird had any diseases the first bird might pick up in the car afterward.