• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird owner!

AddieWattl

Moving in
Hello everyone! I am new here and getting a cockatiel in a few days. This is my cage setup, I still need to get stainless steel bowls but does anyone have any tips for new bird owners or cage feedback? Thanks.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Nnbal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
WELCOME to the Avenue!!! :bliss:

Nice cage, but will you put perches next to food and water bowls? And by the entrance to make it easier to get in and out. Also, the triangular swing will probably not be big enough for your cockatiel to use as a swing... maybe a play toy. Enjoy your mini-too!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome!

Theobirb

Walking the driveway
Welcome! Great cage! Just some sure with the cotton rope that your cockatiel doesn’t chew at it and if they do you can put vet wrap on the rope perches or get sisal rope which is ok to be chewed by birds without the risk of impaction. Also the bell on the toy just make sure your bird doesn’t get the bell off of the toy only because they are easy to swallow which could be very dangerous for your cockatiel. Other than that great job!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Welcome! Your set-up is great! I would just take off the fuzzy cotton rope off the triangle perch.

AddieWattl

Moving in
WELCOME to the Avenue!!! :bliss:

Nice cage, but will you put perches next to food and water bowls? And by the entrance to make it easier to get in and out. Also, the triangular swing will probably not be big enough for your cockatiel to use as a swing... maybe a play toy. Enjoy your mini-too!
Thanks so much for the feedback! Can I put in a dowel perch near the bowls or will that hurt his feet too much?

AddieWattl

Moving in
Welcome! Great cage! Just some sure with the cotton rope that your cockatiel doesn’t chew at it and if they do you can put vet wrap on the rope perches or get sisal rope which is ok to be chewed by birds without the risk of impaction. Also the bell on the toy just make sure your bird doesn’t get the bell off of the toy only because they are easy to swallow which could be very dangerous for your cockatiel. Other than that great job!
Thanks so much I really appreciate it!

Theobirb

Walking the driveway
Thanks so much for the feedback! Can I put in a dowel perch near the bowls or will that hurt his feet too much?
You can put your birds bowls near the food bowls but my GCC prefers to hang from the bars of his cage or stand on the bowl itself up to you!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Yes, many birds will sit on the bowl to eat-- and then turn around to relax, still sitting there... and poop in their bowl. Even w/ a perch available, you can't always win! Is the pedi-perch close enough to the bowl station to be used to eat/ drink from? That's a good way for them to 'have' to stand on it! Is the natural wood rambling perch large enough diameter for a cockatiel? It's nice to have a size variety for them to choose. I used to have great fun tree trimming to choose a particular area on the branch to use.
Enjoy your cockatiel!