• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird owner, few questions

feathers05

Moving in
Real Name
Samantha
Forgive me if I'm in the wrong thread.
I'm a first time bird owner to a beautiful green cheek and loving the experience. Even with all the research around, sometimes I find it can be confusing just reading article after article because the opinions differ. So here I am!
I trust your advice. Hopefully you don't find it too annoying. Sorry for the questions.
I bought grape fruit seed extract for cleaning (After reading a few threads on here), found it to be cheaper than essential oils. What are your go to products for natural cleaners? I'm curious. Should I steer away from cleaning with essential oils because the scent can be very strong? Are any essential oils toxic to birds? No more diffusing essential oils? I do it to just give a lovely smell in the home. Does this mean no more cinnamon sticks on the stove top with water to give cinnamon scent in the house?
Threw out the non stick pans. I read ceramic is ok and stainless steel?
I'm a mother to a daughter, we love our hair dryer. I hear they can be unsafe for birds? Is it ok to blow dry hair in the bedroom, door closed- upstairs, away from the bird? Our conure is downstairs in the living room. The breeder says just look at it as they're sensitive to the aroma, I'm wondering if keeping distance is the key. We don't use hair sprays.
We use a air fryer, I think it's no different than using the oven- I just find it convenient and quicker with certain foods. I don't use oils or lard to fry in it. Assuming it's safe?

Reactions: Ali

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Yes, no more diffusing essential oils. I'm not sure about using them for cleaning. I'm sure others can answer. You can continue to boil cinnamon sticks. I think many here do that. You can also throw some orange peels in too. No nonstick pans but ceramic and stainless steel are fine. I use a hair dryer. Like you said, I am upstairs with the door shut and the birds are downstairs and I haven't had an issue.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the avenue Samantha! :starshower1:

Reactions: Ali

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Forgive me if I'm in the wrong thread.
I'm a first time bird owner to a beautiful green cheek and loving the experience. Even with all the research around, sometimes I find it can be confusing just reading article after article because the opinions differ. So here I am!
I trust your advice. Hopefully you don't find it too annoying. Sorry for the questions.
I bought grape fruit seed extract for cleaning (After reading a few threads on here), found it to be cheaper than essential oils. What are your go to products for natural cleaners? I'm curious. Should I steer away from cleaning with essential oils because the scent can be very strong? Are any essential oils toxic to birds? No more diffusing essential oils? I do it to just give a lovely smell in the home. Does this mean no more cinnamon sticks on the stove top with water to give cinnamon scent in the house?
Threw out the non stick pans. I read ceramic is ok and stainless steel?
I'm a mother to a daughter, we love our hair dryer. I hear they can be unsafe for birds? Is it ok to blow dry hair in the bedroom, door closed- upstairs, away from the bird? Our conure is downstairs in the living room. The breeder says just look at it as they're sensitive to the aroma, I'm wondering if keeping distance is the key. We don't use hair sprays.
We use a air fryer, I think it's no different than using the oven- I just find it convenient and quicker with certain foods. I don't use oils or lard to fry in it. Assuming it's safe?
Welcome! I love cleaning with Grapefruit seed extract. Have been using it to clean for years. I would stay away from diffusing essential oils. Boiling cinnamon sticks and orange/lemon peels os fine. Ceramic pans are fine as long as they are PTFE & PFOA free. I have an older Conair 1875 dryer that I use that I verified with the manufacturer that it was safe to use. Also be careful with airfriers since a lot of them contain teflon and are not bird safe. Congrats on your new little one.

TLC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Trenny
Welcome to the forum. Yes, no more diffusing essential oils. I'm not sure about using them for cleaning. I'm sure others can answer. You can continue to boil cinnamon sticks. I think many here do that. You can also throw some orange peels in too. No nonstick pans but ceramic and stainless steel are fine. I use a hair dryer. Like you said, I am upstairs with the door shut and the birds are downstairs and I haven't had an issue.
Can I blow dry my hair in my bathroom with my cockatoo in the shower enclosure? She likes to hang with me when I’m getting ready, but I haven’t yet found out if my hairdryer has Teflon in it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Can I blow dry my hair in my bathroom with my cockatoo in the shower enclosure? She likes to hang with me when I’m getting ready, but I haven’t yet found out if my hairdryer has Teflon in it.
I'm not sure....

@Mizzely ?

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Yes, some hair dryers have Teflon in them.
Maybe one of the staff or moderators can link the thread here ... " Teflon free hair dryers" dated back 6/14/14.... Good advice there

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
How about essential oils from Young Living that contain only 100% natural ingredient? Are those safe for diffusing?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How about essential oils from Young Living that contain only 100% natural ingredient? Are those safe for diffusing?
No. Natural doesn't always mean safe. These is a lot of conflicting information about essential oil use around birds in general, but there are only a few I would use around birds. I treat EOs like medicine - they should be used with intent and sparingly as needed.

Many EOs aren't safe for children under 2, for cats or dogs, for pregnant women... The list goes on.

And if I were going to use EOs, Young Living would not be my choice.