• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Bird -Odd behav

Knbg20

Moving in
Real Name
Kim
Hello everyone.
I received my new feather baby Saturday. She was from a breeder in Florida, flew on a plane to Missouri. First, I was extremely upset in thei shipping. The box she was shipped in made out of plywood. Not enough room to stretch wings or stand. She was in the box from 5 am to 5 pm. I’m wondering if this has affected her poorly.

Nova (her name) was raised in a plastic bucket with wood shavings so I’m not entirely sure she’s used to cages or perches. She moved around her cage at a glacial pace initially. Using her beak to pull herself up. She’s picked up speed but not much. She tries to fly from one perch to another and really just ends up flailing around until she gathers herself. She’s also had difficulty grabbing her food with her feet. She eats just fine out of her bowl but grabbing it seems difficult sometimes. She’s very Leary, but seems to be coming around in little ways.

For instance, I can move freely without her stressing. I can also open the cage and leave it open without her worrying. I can feed her and water her. All of which she would initially flail around. I know we’re making progress.

My biggest question is, is there a such thing as a bird who has difficulty with perches? Could there be another issue? Could it be that she’s used to a flat surface and finding her balance?

next concern is, she’s not made a single peep. Not one. My GCC and budgies are constantly making their tweedles. Is it normal for a bird to be silent?

All of my birds have come from pet stores. This is the first time coming from a breeder so I’m just not used to this behavior.

Any help appreciated!!!

(1st photo was sent from breeder, 2nd is her box she was shipped in, 3rd is her in her cage)

Attachments

Jogging around the block
@Zara and @BrianB have experience with young birds, they might know more about the perching
Congrats on getting Nova, she's a sweetie :)

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It sounds like she’s inexperienced and wasn’t given a proper cage and the opportunity to learn how to climb and perch. I would put food and water in different places to encourage her to move around and explore her cage.

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Some treat foods like nutro berries will help her with grabbing things. It helped my jade and he’s much older. He’s finally gotten to flying around and he loves it.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
All babies have trouble perching for a start till they learn how to use their feet and build up the strength to perch, natural perches and a platform will be easier for your baby than dowels and will also ensure your little one has healthy development in its feet.
Give your baby some time to learn the sounds and behaviours in its new environment- my baby used to be silent…. I now can hear him half way down the street, the more comfortable they become the less they sit silent and still.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe make some food available on the floor of the cage as well to be sure she is getting enough until she is more comfortable climbing about.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Brian and Shez have given good replies.
Just to add, if your bird is falling, or having issues, you can line the cage with non pilling fleece to soften any falls :)

MisterGrey

Moving in
Wow she's an absolute beauty!

Try a thick perch or as commented above a platform. Sometimes it can take a while for a bird to vocalise in new surroundings. I'm sure she will settle into her new home in no time at all. She really looks so sweet.

Knbg20

Moving in
Real Name
Kim
I appreciate everyone so much!! I have become so accustomed to pet store animals and their behavior that this behavior made me worry about her.

❤thank you all so very much!! ❤