• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird not doing anything?

Aubrey_mey

Moving in
Real Name
Aubrey
I recently got a grey cockatiel, his name is Rio and this is my first bird ever, he is constantly breathing heavily and has fluffed up feathers. He hasn’t eaten any of the veggies, pellets, or drank any water. I tried giving him treats and he won’t take them, or he’ll move away from my hand. He has not moved at all since we got home and has sat one one perch. Ive only had him for 1 night, and that one night he didn’t sleep, I’m almost positive of that because he keeps yawning and almost falling asleep. I keep seeing things saying I shouldn’t take him out, but how am I supposed to bond with him then? I don’t know what to do, I also own a campground and we go up every weekend. I’m worried about this Friday and transferring him there because I don’t want to stress him out anymore but I don’t have a choice, I have too. He won’t get near me at all, and won’t even eat millet. He is doing nothing and I’m getting scared...I’ve researched so much about cockatiels and it says this will happen, but now that it’s actually happening I’m not sure what to do because everything I do seems to scare him. I’m playing some music right now and talking to him a bit, but that’s as far as I can go, any help? Another thing, it seems like he isn’t letting himself sleep, because whenever I see him about to sleep he always seems like he’s forcing his eyes open. Reallyyyy getting worried here.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How old is he? If he's a baby, are you sure he's weaned? What was he eating before you got him? Is that food available to him?

Birds are prey animals, and we look like scary predators with our big hands and forward facing eyes. Staring at a bird can make them very nervous, and a nervous bird won't eat. They will not bond overnight, and some will take longer than others. Bonding does not need to mean handling them; you can make them more comfortable by simply talking, singing, or whistling to them.

If it were my bird, I would cover half the cage with a blanket and make sure that half has the food and water in it. I would keep music on low, and then pretty much ignore the bird for a few days. This gives them a chance to get used to the sights, sounds, and smells of your home without expectation.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
constantly breathing heavily and has fluffed up feathers
I agree with Mizzely above, but this description is worrisome as it often indicates a very sick bird.

Can you post a video of this behaviour? It would be useful for people who have experience with bird body language to see if it's concerning.

Has your bird been checked by a veterinarian?

Aubrey_mey

Moving in
Real Name
Aubrey
He’s a few months, he is weaned and I’m using the same food he’s been on for a while. I’ll try the blanket method, thank you! I’ll leave him alone until Wednesday, I think that should suffice!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I agree with Mizzely above, but this description is worrisome as it often indicates a very sick bird.

Can you post a video of this behaviour?

Yes sorry I missed that! I agree that it could be your bird is ill and that could contribute to the other issues you're seeing too

Aubrey_mey

Moving in
Real Name
Aubrey

Can you post a video of this behaviour?

when we got him they said he is perfectly healthy, and this was only yesterday. We plan on taking him this week, just to get him re

Can you post a video of this behaviour? It would be useful for people who have experience with bird body language to see if it's concerning.

We plan on taking him to the vet this week, as we need to get him registered in the system there, and get a check up. he moves away whenever I try to get a good video of him, I cant capture it well. I have only gotten one photo

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Being told he is healthy is different than truly knowing ;)

I would definitely leave the blanket until at least Wednesday, but follow his lead.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cockatiels wean anywhere from 8-12 weeks and it's common for a new bird to regress and need some hand feedings. So watch to make sure he is eating. Sometimes hungry babies will make a static sounding noise too. (And a few months old is still a baby.) I am glad you're taking him to the vet to be safe. As already suggested, covering him partially is a good idea. When I get a new bird, I still spend time with them even if it's not direct interacting. I think since birds are flock animals alone can be scary. I would spend time sitting with him- as close as he seems comfortable. If it's sitting on the other side of the room, then sit there. Whatever he is comfortable with. You can work on getting closer gradually. You can also read to him. No scary eye contact that way but he gets used to your voice.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sorry I forget that not everyone has their birds in the main part of their house. In my suggestion about ignoring them, that's when I'm still hanging around doing my own thing and talking etc :lol:

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I have only gotten one photo
It's tough to tell from a single photo, but Rio doesn't look sick in that image. I'm still glad you're taking him to the vet for a checkup. It's extremely valuable to establish that relationship, and have a baseline to compare against over time.

I like the quote "slow is fast, and fast is slow" when it comes to establishing a new relationship with birds. No need to rush.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. It's always a good idea to take a new bird to the vet for a check up.
He might just be scared and stressed but always good to be sure nothing else is going on.