• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Bird Mommy

LisaD63

Moving in
Real Name
Lisa
Hello Everyone,
I am completely new to this! Wow! I'm a bit overwhelmed :bored: lol! It's definitely going to take me some time to navigate.
So I'm a new bird mom. I just bought a caique and finally got to take her home. She has been home for a week and all is well.
So I don't know what I was thinking but now I just purchased a blue throated macaw as well. I can't take him/her home yet, so I go to visit her/him daily so we can bond.
Like I said...I'm a new mom and I've never owned a bird before. I kind of now think I jumped the gun a bit fast in purchasing the blue throat.
I no nothing about them either and hope I didn't make a mistake!
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone! :)

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Lisa :)

If you feel you made a rushed decision, are you able to get your money back from the breeder for the macaw and they find a different home for him?

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
Hello! We're here to help you as best we can, but Zara has a good point. Are you able to get your money back or find a different home if need be?

LisaD63

Moving in
Real Name
Lisa
Thanks Zara and QBird for your responses. It's a reputable pet store near me. They only give you a store credit, which could go towards another bird, food, toys, etc. I feel like I want to give the macaw a chance to bond, but I also know some birds can take months to do so. I would hate to take the bird home and not have the bond with it, have it cage aggressive, especially for the money spent. I am literally so confused. He's only a baby still and I thought that would be best to bond. Idk....He used to be caged with another blue throat and when I do take him out of his/her cage all he/she wants to do is see/interact wit the other one. They miss each other terribly; it breaks my heart! Maybe I should just take my time and see if there is another bird I connect better with (if the store will allow it)....

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think a baby macaw is a huge commitment. This is a bird that you can easily live 60 plus years. Many macaws out live their owners. I would take some time and really think about if this is what you want. If you decide to get the baby, there are many great macaw owners here who can offer advice. But a macaw definitely shouldn't be an impulse buy. Not only the time commitment (the rest of your life) but there's also the expense. They need a huge cage, lots of toys, etc. If you have doubts I probably wouldn't get him. Also, I am always cautious about mixing beak sizes. A macaw is obviously going to get much bigger than your caique. I have a goffin and cockatiels. I don't let my goffin out with my tiels for fear he will accidentally hurt them. So, there's that aspect of it also. Are you prepared for having to possibly do separate out of the cage time with each bird? It can be very time consuming.

LisaD63

Moving in
Real Name
Lisa
Hi Sunnysmom...Thanks for your reply. So I am aware that some birds don't get along well with others. I was told the caique is that type of bird. I live with my mother and son, so time spent with the birds is not really the issue, nor the expenses, but rather will this new bird (macaw) bond with us. I already bought the cages and plenty of toys so far. I know each bird is different and the bonding may take longer with some than others. Maybe I'm expecting that when I go to visit him/her that it will jump out of the cage to greet me lol. Ugh!!! Maybe too, being new to all this I don't really know what to expect at all?? Don't they say birds pick their owners? I don't feel this bird chose me hahaha!!! :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I understand you being keen to get another bird i felt exactly the same as soon as i got Mojo ( she is the conure in my avatar ) i knew i wanted another parrot however i felt i needed to spend sometime with Mojo and build a relationship with her first and foremost the plan was to get another conure in March 2022 from the breeder i got Mojo from however i learned he had a tiny yellow side that it appeared no one wanted so he was going to add her back to the aviary for breeding so i took her thankfully Mojo had very much become my bird in the 3 and half months i had her and this has not changed the new bird doesnt really want to know me she will interact to a degree with me but absolutely adores my wife.
Maybe hold fire on the Macaw for a while enjoy the Caique for a time get to know him a week is a small period of time and things might change next week and when another bird is added the dynamic could very well change.

@sunnysmom makes a good point about mixing beak sizes and seperate out of cage time it can be hard work, i havent mixed beak sizes however i find it terribly stressfull when Mojo has got onto Kiki's cage and they are fighting through the bars i have been working hard with Mojo to stop her going on Kiki's cage and now KiKi is coming out i am working hard trying to stop KiKi going on Mojo's cage ( bear in mind both of my birds are smaller than your Caique and significantly smaller than a Macaw )

By the way how about a pic of the Cauque

LisaD63

Moving in
Real Name
Lisa
Right, right! Makes sense! Thanks! I sincerely appreciate everyone's feedback!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Would love to see a pic of the Caique

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Definitely will once I figure out how hahahaha!
Pic on your smartphone then attach file bellow tick the pic then upload

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
@RareParrot is looking for a Blue Throated Macaw... maybe just tell him where the other baby is?

BUT ... WELCOME to the Avenue!!! :loveshower:

RareParrot

Moving in
Yes! I’ve been looking for a blue throat for a while now, can you tell me where it is?

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bear in mind that a good bond with a baby may not translate into a good bond with an adult parrot. Much like human infants, baby parrots have a strong bond with their parents. Even after leaving the nest, a young macaw may spend up to seven years with their parents. They have a lot to learn about their world - how to find food throughout the year, how to survive the weather, how to interact with other parrots as the larger flock comes together and splits up into family groups. It's not uncommon to see adult parrots feed their babies long after they have weaned. The bond between parents and their offspring is a powerful one.

However, a young parrot doesn't want to stay with Mum and Dad forever. As they approach sexual maturity, young parrots will become increasingly independent. Eventually they will want to find their own companions and mates, and settle into their own long-term relationships. Mum and Dad might want to have more babies and will encourage their adult offspring to leave. It is the way of things for the parental relationship to become weaker. Think of it like human teenagers - they may love their parents, but they don't want to live with Mum and Dad forever!

So translate that into what we're doing. If you buy a young macaw, even if it is already weaned, you are essentially their parent. You can have lots of lovely baby snuggles and steer them through their childhood, but eventually, between around the ages of seven and ten, that young macaw is going to hit sexual maturity and won't necessary want to be around Mum anymore. What happens then?

I highly recommend reading this thread and talking to other people with large macaws about their experience

Baby to adult. Will they still love me?

Personally, if I were to get a macaw, I would adopt an adult. There are many young adults up for adoption precisely because of this dynamic. As I think @macawpower58 said, she raised a wonderful bird - but for someone else.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Yes! I’ve been looking for a blue throat for a while now, can you tell me where it is?
LisaD63 says New Jersey. Says you can only buy if you're in same state... Contact her using the @ feature for the purchase place...

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Welcome to the Avenue! :welave: