• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Bird Mom

Susie21663

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Susan
Hi everyone! My husband and I just adopted a year old cinnamon cockatiel named Appa. Don’t know if Appa is a girl or a boy but we suspect girl with her behaviors. We did our research as best as we could but ultimately it’s nice to know where to go where people have had experiences with whatever. So I’m happy to be here as I’m sure being a new Cockatiel mom I’m going to end up with tons of questions. Lol

Reactions: Ira

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Susan and Appa! 1.welcome signs.gif

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
Cinnamon Tiels are beautiful.

We lost a Tiel last year...24 years old...and he lived that long even on a lousy diet, because we didn’t raise him right when we first got him as a young bird and didn’t know to train him to love the GOOD foods.

Please spend the time to learn proper diet...don’t let your gal (you so sure a gal?) live on seed...because it’s not just about longevity. Your bird will be healthier and HAPPIER with the proper diet, and you’ll get a real kick out of giving it to her.

Susie21663

Real Name
Susan
No I was told this is a boy. First thing I did was research his diet but still learning. Mullets seeds are the only straight seed he gets. I’m feeding him Lafebers Nut-Berries. Different flavors to keep it interesting and I’m a huge fruit and veggie eater so as I eat them I offer them to see what he likes. So far nothing fabulous but I’ve only tried banana and watermelon so far. It’s only been a few days. He really doesn’t like raw foods too much and I figure it’s because he didn’t get them much. I hope I can change that in him. I would really like for at least 30% of his diet to be raw fruits and veggies. Trying to learn what greens are good for them and when I read forage is that like chickens forage? I grow my chickens an Alfa, clover, wheat , etc. trays for forage and then micro-greens for something special a couple times a week. Can cockatiels eat this kinda stuff too? I want him very healthy as close to a plentiful natural diet as possible

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You want to offer very little fruit as it is no where near as good for them as veggies (fruit is high in sugars, veggies are not) and cockatiels are not well known for being fruit eaters.

Foraging is an activity where the bird has to search and work to get at its food- some of us have special toys that make the birds work harder to get their food and some of us just serve or hide food in ways that means the bird has to work at ripping paper or moving beads to get at what it wants to eat- this keeps them busy, interested, engaged, happy and stops them from getting bored and over eating. Foraging activities are fun for most birds and will reduce the likelihood of issues with boredom like screaming, plucking or other undesirable behaviours.

Cockatiels are well known to love fresh grasses and seeded grasses, broccoli and kale so maybe you can try some of those.

With birds we often find that they may ignore or reject a food for a long time before they accept that it may be edible or at least not likely to kill them lol. We keep serving things that they do not eat the first time (if it is good for them) until it is no longer foreign to them and we just keep our fingers crossed that one day they will take a little taste. I find my bird gets annoyed at things on the roof of his cage that do not belong there but only if they are above his night time perch so I can put a raw whole carrot there and he will destroy the whole thing and make tiny bits of carrot but if I put it in his bowl he won't touch it unless it is to through it on the floor- serve veg any and every different and creative way you can think of.

If you serve your chooks sprouts or mocrogreens then that is a wonderful food to offer your parrot too- ideally you want your parrot eating fresh veggies and grains daily as opposed to a as a treat so if he enjoys microgreens (sprouts are a bit better but microgreens are good too) then feel free to offer them daily. :)

Susie21663

Real Name
Susan
I’ll have to look it up I love gardening I’m growing a medicinal garden more for the chickens then myself lol. Fabulous my microgreens are kale, broccoli, amaranth, sunflower, and mustard green mix. I also have dandelion greens along with the flowers. So my forage trays she can pick threw? They have alpha, clover sprouts and the like in there. I don’t let it grow tall so its a lot of sprouts. How awesome! I’m already set for this. I’ll do some reading and see what veggies he shouldn’t have and what things could be poisonous. I’d rather grow as much of their food as possible. No pesticides or unnatural additives put in the soil. Just fresh from Mother Nature herself as intended. Thanks for this. Everything has fruit in it so I though fruit was a big thing for them.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
No I was told this is a boy. First thing I did was research his diet but still learning. Mullets seeds are the only straight seed he gets. I’m feeding him Lafebers Nut-Berries. Different flavors to keep it interesting and I’m a huge fruit and veggie eater so as I eat them I offer them to see what he likes. So far nothing fabulous but I’ve only tried banana and watermelon so far. It’s only been a few days. He really doesn’t like raw foods too much and I figure it’s because he didn’t get them much. I hope I can change that in him. I would really like for at least 30% of his diet to be raw fruits and veggies. Trying to learn what greens are good for them and when I read forage is that like chickens forage? I grow my chickens an Alfa, clover, wheat , etc. trays for forage and then micro-greens for something special a couple times a week. Can cockatiels eat this kinda stuff too? I want him very healthy as close to a plentiful natural diet as possible
Welcome! Cockatiels tend not to eat fruit. And since tiels are granivores, I think they should have seed in their diet. (Although nutriberries do have seeds in them too. so he is getting some. :) ). My tiels have liked leafy greens, cooked sweet potato, broccoli, squash, snap peas, green beans. I usually have to chop it up pretty small for them, except for the lettuce. You can also try sprouting seeds. That's very good for them. And mine also like Higgins Worldly Cuisine mixes, which you can also add vegetables too.

And forage- sort of. I have put a small dish in their cage at times, filled with crinkle paper and little toys and then a few seeds for them to fine. You can also give him little card board boxes filled with things or finger trap toys and hide something in it, etc.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I suggest elle and the birds, I have learned new things every time she posts. She is very knowledgeable about the subject for her age. :budgie2:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard