• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird, maybe sick?

Kailakmo

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kaila
Hello, I recently purchased a sun conure, ozzy. He is four months old. He’s been sneezing a lot the past 4 days. I ’ve had him for 9 days and the first 5 I didn’t hear any sneezes. The past 4 days he will start sneezing multiple times back to back at random times during the day sometimes he gets a clear liquid on me when he does (sometimes it’s just like he’s blowing air). He’s itching at his “ears” a lot and rubs his nose holes on his perch in his cage and occasionally on my face. His nose holes are a light pink from the rubbing. By a lot I mean he sneezes at least 6 times back to back multiple times a day and itches his ears for a about 10 seconds. There is no mucus on his nose or eyes and when liquid has come out of his nose it’s always been clear.
Any advice? I want to hold off on a vet visit for as long as possible. I’m a college student and I just had to put down my tuition plus the payment of the sun conure so I’m a little strapped for cash right now. Any advice would help. Thank you.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My understanding is that dry sneezes are normal but wet sneezes can be a sign of an infection. I think to be safe I would take him to the vet. Have you looked at Credit Care? It's a credit card that will cover vet visits and as long as you pay it off within a certain time, there's no interest. I've never used it but my friend did for her dog's surgery and she was very happy with it.

@webchirp ? @taxidermynerd ? @Hankmacaw ?

Kailakmo

Real Name
Kaila
My understanding is that dry sneezes are normal but wet sneezes can be a sign of an infection. I think to be safe I would take him to the vet. Have you looked at Credit Care? It's a credit card that will cover vet visits and as long as you pay it off within a certain time, there's no interest. I've never used it but my friend did for her dog's surgery and she was very happy with it.

@webchirp ? @taxidermynerd ? @Hankmacaw ?
Thank you for your help!

Kailakmo

Real Name
Kaila
i would also take the bird to the vet. i was wondering are wet sneezes okay ocaissionally? like once a week or less?
Thank you for your help!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I'd be worried about the rubbing aspect as well as sneezing. Def a vet trip.