• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird mama!!!

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
i also want to add that lots of birds are untamed when you bring them home, even the hand-fed ones. bringing your bird home is quite traumatic for them, so there is a big chance that they will be skittish when they come home. my conure was hand-fed and friendly in the store, but when he came home he was aggressive. almost 4 months later we are still working though it together. every bird has their own issues and it important to work through them. and even if they are perfect as a baby, they grow up and change. every bird is an individual.

Keetie!

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Joanne
I think that you are doing just wonderful...because, you have a love for this baby lovey already. My Budgie Blueberry actually changed his personality due to me attempting his pellet conversion. He was so loving and tame and now...he is really kind of mad at me. This is just another phase of bird ownership. Don't give up and reach out to us all! I am so grateful to be a member of this incredible and knowledgeable forum! :pinklol3:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope you come to realize that soon?? That is rude.

I need some space from talking to you right now.
She is probably just concerned for your lovie and possible future birdies. We all have different personalities here on AA, but what we do have in common is a love for birds, and for a number of us the bird’s welfare comes first. We have good intentions, though. It’s just that the birds are at the mercy of humans and their whims, and that can end badly for the birds all too often. So we can be protective of them.

I’m really glad to hear that you’ll be working with your little lovie to earn her trust instead of returning her right away! I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised in time. All of my lovebirds were supposedly hand-raised, but at least two acted as if they’d never had a positive interaction with humans in their lives!:rnfrt:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for the response. Reading you examples helps me. I‘m not really worried so much about giving her time more so that I cant imagine this bird going from where she’s at now to being willing to perch on my hand or shoulder or whatever really. I‘m scared she will just always not want to leave her cage. I understand what your saying though, it going to take time.
I had a lovebird that would scream bloody murder and run around in an absolute flapping panic if I got close to his cage. I had pretty much resigned myself to never being able to get close to him. There was no way I’d ever be able to touch him with my hands as he was TERRIFIED of hands. But with time, that same bird would later jump eagerly out of his cage and right into my hand, and couldn’t wait to see me and rub his little head against my face. He never wanted to go back in his cage! He even cuddled up against my hand and eventually let me actually pet him and put my hand around him.

It all took time, but how incredible is that? In the end he was the one who left his cage to come and sit on my shoulder. He decided to build a relationship with me and accept the invitation of that open door.

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
I made a video a while back about millet. The bird I used in the video is obviously tame and eats near my fingers where you will likely find your little one eats right from the end away from you. But the base is the same, so to give you an idea;
Remember the time between each stage can be hours, or weeks or more. And when doing this on a new day, back track one stage to give a gentle reminder that it´s ok.
That’s a good video! I love having a visual!!!!

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
Do you know if your gorgeous little birdie is a he or she? Sorry if you mentioned this already. So cute! :grouphug2:
No worries! I actually don’t know yet, I am waiting for the place I got the bird from to let me know the results of the DNA test. I’m so curious! Thank you!

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
i also want to add that lots of birds are untamed when you bring them home, even the hand-fed ones. bringing your bird home is quite traumatic for them, so there is a big chance that they will be skittish when they come home. my conure was hand-fed and friendly in the store, but when he came home he was aggressive. almost 4 months later we are still working though it together. every bird has their own issues and it important to work through them. and even if they are perfect as a baby, they grow up and change. every bird is an individual.
I really like what you had to say, I can totally see that. Excellent points of reason!

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
I think that you are doing just wonderful...because, you have a love for this baby lovey already. My Budgie Blueberry actually changed his personality due to me attempting his pellet conversion. He was so loving and tame and now...he is really kind of mad at me. This is just another phase of bird ownership. Don't give up and reach out to us all! I am so grateful to be a member of this incredible and knowledgeable forum! :pinklol3:
Thank you so much for your support, it means a lot to me. Good luck with your pellet conversion! I imagine that is tricky, some days very soon I will be in the same boat! I’m trying to come up with a chop recipe that my little one will enjoy.

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
She is probably just concerned for your lovie and possible future birdies. We all have different personalities here on AA, but what we do have in common is a love for birds, and for a number of us the bird’s welfare comes first. We have good intentions, though. It’s just that the birds are at the mercy of humans and their whims, and that can end badly for the birds all too often. So we can be protective of them.

I’m really glad to hear that you’ll be working with your little lovie to earn her trust instead of returning her right away! I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised in time. All of my lovebirds were supposedly hand-raised, but at least two acted as if they’d never had a positive interaction with humans in their lives!:rnfrt:
I’t very admirable for you to step in and act as a mediator, thank you.

I have a lot of thoughts on that interaction, and at the base of me I think what you interrupted has some validity to it. At the end of the day it’s unacceptable to me to be rude regardless if your point is right, wrong or indifferent. A point can be made while being tactful. Delivery is a BIG deal. I’m going to leave it there. I do appreciate your efforts in trying to help smooth that situation out.

I am ready to work with this little one and give him or her what they need to be happy and healthy, I am cool with working at the birds speed.

I was told my bird was hand raised but I’m not really sure. I can say that she/ he is certainly not comfortable with human hands yet. I will make it my mission to show this bird that hands can be a source of love and joy. My entire family is ready and willing to shower this bird with TLC. :grouphug2:

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
I had a lovebird that would scream bloody murder and run around in an absolute flapping panic if I got close to his cage. I had pretty much resigned myself to never being able to get close to him. There was no way I’d ever be able to touch him with my hands as he was TERRIFIED of hands. But with time, that same bird would later jump eagerly out of his cage and right into my hand, and couldn’t wait to see me and rub his little head against my face. He never wanted to go back in his cage! He even cuddled up against my hand and eventually let me actually pet him and put my hand around him.

It all took time, but how incredible is that? In the end he was the one who left his cage to come and sit on my shoulder. He decided to build a relationship with me and accept the invitation of that open door.
Wow! That’s beautiful!! Sounds like a truly reward experience! It‘s hard to envision these kinds of transformation some times but I too have seen it happen with some of my other furry family members. I is always worth the wait and dedication with an animal, they are always the one that love us unconditionally :heart:

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
After much carful thought and a lot of very helpful encouragement from all of you I am going to keep this little feathered angle and give the bird whatever it needs at whatever speed it is comfortable with.

I am anxiously waiting for the DNA results to come back so I can give the little one a proper name and have an idea of possible temperament and hormones.

I am also hoping to find out an exact hatch date but I might be pushing my luck on that one. One can hope.

I already am emotionally attached to this little bird, I LOVE hearing the little beak grinding noises. I love how it stretches it‘s little neck when it‘s interested in something, or the yawns. Call me strange but I like the way the bird smells, I find myself wanting to smell the blanket I use to cover the cage at night. Ive heard many people say Amazons smell good? I love how this lovebird smells! Ive only held an Amazon once so I cant really compare. Ether way, I love it!

Thank you everyone for talking me off the ledge!!! I needed that, my emotions where in the way, in a bad way and I needed all of you to help me put the breaks on and take a breath and do what is right for this little feathered bundle:heart::grouphug2:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I was told my bird was hand raised but I’m not really sure. I can say that she/ he is certainly not comfortable with human hands yet. I will make it my mission to show this bird that hands can be a source of love and joy. My entire family is ready and willing to shower this bird with TLC. :grouphug2:

Hand raised does not equal hand tamed.
Often when hand feeding birds, they are grabbed out of the nest/brooder, given food by a syringe or with a crop tube then placed back into the nest/brooder. It is not really a positive interaction. Just grab, feed, put back, and grab the next one.

I am glad you have decided to keep your bird and give him/her time to settle in, get comfortable and grow to love you.

He/she is beautiful.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@zoo mom Most of the lovebirds I have were supposedly hand-raised and handled often, but who knows how much interaction the little lovies get in the end. And of course personality plays a part as well, especially when it comes to the extremes.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! That’s beautiful!! Sounds like a truly reward experience! It‘s hard to envision these kinds of transformation some times but I too have seen it happen with some of my other furry family members. I is always worth the wait and dedication with an animal, they are always the one that love us unconditionally :heart:
That’s why I wanted to tell you about him! Even the most frightened lovebird can end up bravely coming out of his/her shell in time. (Yep, and our fearful and timid dog, too, though she is even more cautious than any of the birds.) Animals are the best. :heart2: And with birds, they’re not really domesticated, so it’s really amazing when they choose to love us and actively seek us out.

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
I also love the way my budgie Blueberry smells. I am so in love with this bird...I can't tell you!:flowgdnc:When I first joined Avian Ave. I was kind of intimidated because even though I have had a budgie in my home for a total of (14) years, I felt like a newbie here. I was doing so many things wrong. I did a reset (also due to a health scare) with Blueberry and now I am starting from step one. Blueberry might love something one day and the next day despise it! I had a small victory today and he ate some chop at breakfast with me instead of lunch. I never treated bird ownership lightly, but now with the assistance of all the members of this wonderful community, I can see more victories daily! Thank you to All!!!

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
Hand raised does not equal hand tamed.
Often when hand feeding birds, they are grabbed out of the nest/brooder, given food by a syringe or with a crop tube then placed back into the nest/brooder. It is not really a positive interaction. Just grab, feed, put back, and grab the next one.

I am glad you have decided to keep your bird and give him/her time to settle in, get comfortable and grow to love you.

He/she is beautiful.
That is some really good information to know but also really kind of sad. It sounds like a feelingless assembly line sort of thing. Cringy for sure.

Thank you!!

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
Keep us updated please!:laughing2:
I just got off the phone with the store and they are hoping to have the DNA results back today! We shall see! I have a feeling this one might be a girl, ether way I’m so excited to find out! Will report back soon!!

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
I also love the way my budgie Blueberry smells. I am so in love with this bird...I can't tell you!:flowgdnc:When I first joined Avian Ave. I was kind of intimidated because even though I have had a budgie in my home for a total of (14) years, I felt like a newbie here. I was doing so many things wrong. I did a reset (also due to a health scare) with Blueberry and now I am starting from step one. Blueberry might love something one day and the next day despise it! I had a small victory today and he ate some chop at breakfast with me instead of lunch. I never treated bird ownership lightly, but now with the assistance of all the members of this wonderful community, I can see more victories daily! Thank you to All!!!
I’m so curious now of what an Amazon smells like, since they are the ones noted for their smell!?!? I feel like I just want to go to the bird store and stick my nose up to the cage bars to take a sniff! LOL I’m sure that would not go over well with he bird :lol:

Thank you for sharing you path to success, it’s very motivating. As with other things I have learned, you can read all you want in advanced but there is no substitute for real life experience. The initial learning curve can be a little rough and I wish I had a way to consolidate the growing pains of learning strictly to myself instead of the animal feeling some of that with me. I’ll just have to do my best to learn quick and try not to repeat the inevitable mistakes I will and have made along the way.

AA is an amazing community of educated avian enthusiast, I also feel really lucky to be part of such a valuable resource.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My budgies have never let me anywhere near their little heads to smell them, lol!!