• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird introduction questions regarding housing.

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
We will be having a baby African gray in our house for about 6 months. We have a 15 metersquare indoor aviary and a cage for Astro and a slightly smaller travel cage. The aviary and the main cage definitely belong to Astro, our 2 year old African grey although we frequently put our budgie Cooper in both when Astro is in the other and Astro never sees this, so she never knows that she is actually sharing these areas.

Since we have more than enough room for housing in the house, we don't want to get a new cage just for the new bird. So shall we start by introducing the idea of sharing these areas to Astro by first letting Astro see Cooper in her aviary and cage? Perhaps have Astro in her cage while Cooper is in the aviary and have them both in the same room and later do the same thing but the other way around? Has anyone had a similar experience before? How did it go? What would be signs of stress to watch out for and what would be a good sign in my birds' body language?

Cooper and Astro never interact outside because of the difference in their sizes if that makes any difference on how I should proceed.

My end goal would be to be able to keep any bird in any cage without causing anyone stress and maybe have Astro and the new baby African grey in the aviary together if at all possible although this isn't the main goal.

20210814_184238.jpg
IMG_20210812_153729_854.jpg

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
How are you going to handle the quarantine period?
The new bird is coming to us with complete vet checks and a clean bill of health from a very reputable breeder and my birds are regularly vetted too so I will not be quarantining the new bird. If I feel like I have to anyway then I will use the travel cage for the new bird. Nobody in the house "owns" that one.