• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird cage aggressive

Dcalf

Moving in
I just got my 2 yr old quaker yesterday. I thought I'd let him settle for a couple days before letting him out. The previous owner did tell me he's cage aggressive. So much that when I was rolling his cage to the corner where it would stay, he ran over to my finger on the bar and gave me a good slice. Ouch! I'm giving him a treat every so often but I can tell he would like to eat my fingers instead if the treat. Are all quakers this aggressive?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's a very common reaction from any parrot species but yes Quakers are more prone to it. A cage is their home so it's understandable that they would take offense to it being touched.
@Mizzely @Pixiebeak

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yeah, Quakers are often fiercely protective of their space. Away from their cage they tend to be a lot nicer :) I used to have to put my Quaker in a carrier to clean his cage when he was really being a brat!

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Quaker is not yet a year old, and he's started to be territorial of his cage. He especially does NOT like when I clean his sleeping platform - he runs after me lunging and hissing.

Dcalf

Moving in
Its even tough to put his food and water in. He runs toward me very aggressively. I'm going to wait a couple days before I try to let him out. I bought a table perch so I can do some target training and hopefully he will be different out of the cage. Then there is the issue of him possibly flying away from me. :(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If you don't have a cage with feeder doors, I recommend investing in one as soon as you can.

For my Quaker I would distract him with one hand on the opposite side of the cage, that he would go after, while I replaced bowls.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Yes my quakers are very protective of their cage .

I have perch on the outside of the cage and I just open the door and they step out onto outside of cage perchs. I used to reward that with treats. But it's our habit for ir year's now so I just tell them good birdie.

So my birds come out on their own to outside cage perches , before I do anything! I have them step up from there , and or move them to top of cage before I do food , water or clean .
Then it's easy and they are sweet and there is no drama .

Congratulations on your new burd

Dcalf

Moving in
If you don't have a cage with feeder doors, I recommend investing in one as soon as you can.

For my Quaker I would distract him with one hand on the opposite side of the cage, that he would go after, while I replaced bowls.
I do have feeder doors. He is just very fast! lol

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
They are fast! That's why it's just do much easier to teach them to come out and station on a perch first.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
My Quaker Willow calls for attention but then tried to eat me when I open his cage. So I open the cage door and step back, shake the treat jar and ask him if he wants to come out.

Occasionally he doesn’t want to come out, but usually once he figures out what I’m up to he comes out. I treat him every time he steps off the door onto my hand.

He is very cuddly away from his cage but not welcoming of me in his cage. He’s at least figured out it’s a good thing when I mess with his food dishes because then he gets food.

This is my first Quaker who’s been cage territorial and I admit it hurt my feelings and confused me at first. But most Quaker parakeets don’t like you putting your hand in their cage.