• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird breathing heavily and some tail bobbing

Jolene

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jolene
About a month ago, i got a budgie from petco. i had her for about tow weeks and the i got a second one from a friend. ( They are in separate cages because they are both female) When my friend dropped her off i noticed she was breathing heavily and thought that was because she was scared, about a week in she was still constantly breathing heavily, so i asked my friend if she had noticed her bird breathing heavily or if this was a new thing. Apparently, this poor bird has been breathing heavily for the entire three years that my friend had her. Asia, ( the bird) was sharing a cage with a male bird. My friend thought she was anxious but its happening even when she is asleep. I didn't immediately bring her to tje vet because its been happening for three years. ( According to my friend) Is this serious, and what can i do about it?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It can be serious - as serious as four stokes and a heart attack. Sorry not trying to be a smart aleck, but yes it can be very very serious and this poor bird should have seen a vet years ago. There are so many things that could be causing it - upper respiratory infection, aspergillosis, a tumor, blockage in her nasal passages..... on and on.

Have you quarantined her away from your bird?? Very important to do.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Jolene,

I would definitely be making a vet appointment for the bird having the breathing issues.

Jolene

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jolene
It can be serious - as serious as four stokes and a heart attack. Sorry not trying to be a smart aleck, but yes it can be very very serious and this poor bird should have seen a vet years ago. There are so many things that could be causing it - upper respiratory infection, aspergillosis, a tumor, blockage in her nasal passages..... on and on.

Have you quarantined her away from your bird?? Very important to do.
Yes, they are in different rooms, thanks i will get her checked as soon as possible.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I hope all goes well and the vet can figure out what is going on. Sending positive thoughts your way :hug9:

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Good Luck! Hopefully everything works out!