• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Bird Aggression

Status
Not open for further replies.

sillygooseegg26

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
We recently took our new GCC out of her 35 day quarantine and she is very aggressive with all of our birds. We got her from a breeder that was amazing. All her babies were well socialized and they were well behaved...at least around her own species. Now, if we have her out in the living room where my cockatoo's cage is, she will charge the cage. Our Goffin will be locked up in her cage, minding her own business and our GCC will still charge at her. She doesn't fluff up or anything, she just goes straight in. She does the same with our cockatiels. I need to know how to work with her behavior. She bites me pretty hard when I try to stop her from jumping on our cockatoo's cage. And we don't hold her right up the cage. We are on the other side of the room. We really need to work on her behavior or we might have to give her to someone that can have a "one bird environment". Please help.

carkam

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I wish I could help and will be interested in this also as My GCC is the same way with Big Bird. I just keep them seperated and watch them closely!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I have no experience with GCCs. However, look at it from her viewpoint. She has been relocated to a new place filled with strange new birds and she has to stand up to them and let those birds know she is NOT a pushover and will demand her share, if not more, of the food, water and attention. And don 't you forget it!

On a practical human view, could you interact with her outside the environment of the other birds and establish your trust with her before showing her the entire flock. That has to be overwhelming to a youngster. Then introduce the other birds to her one at a time in an enclosed carrier and in a neutral room. I do understand GCCs are assertive if not aggressive little birds, but this seems like logical steps to me. Each time I brought a new bird home, I had them in quarantine for 45 days which allowed me to build a 1:1 trusting relationship with them. It was after that when I introduced them to the birdroom, letting her meet the others out of the cage one at a time. If new bird had a particular one she didn't do well with, I sometimes covered part of the old bird's cage to hide the rival while new bird was out. Eventually new bird would stumble upon old bird during her explorations and then would gradully get used to everyone in the birdroom. It definitely takes time. I am sure someone with more experience with GCCs and bird aggression in particular will come along soon, but the above have been my method of handling aggression and has seemed to work pretty good. Everyone pretty much tolerates everyone else and the only really aggressive bird I have is my Meyers and she targets my Senegal. They have different times out because of that.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If he doesn't like "all" other birds there's not much "you" can do about it short of providing a separate environment. As Lois said, a very slow introduction to the others one at a time. No guarantee it will work.

If she was with a bunch of her own kind then she knows those other birds are not like her.

Last edited:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Nala is the same,I have to have her and Simba in seperate rooms or she tries to kill him.

Chicklette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Courtney
I have three birds that don't get along. I just rotate them with fly times. You could throw a blanket over your other birds cages so they don't fight. But for the most part their is not much more you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.